INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Request] A story about the Replay Gain annoyance  (Read 1695 times)

lucian.jp

• Junior Woodchuck
[Feature Request] A story about the Replay Gain annoyance
« on: June 09, 2010, 06:04:50 pm »

There is something that bothers me in the DSP since MC 11. That is the "Volume Leveling" in DSP Studio. (Which should be spelled "Levelling" I think)

I have an enormous audio library which are encoded at different DB and the use of volume levelling is quite handful. Problem is I mainly use a laptop with integrated speakers and I cannot volume up more than the system volume. When I use the volume levelling from the DSP, it occurs that it always level down the replay gain. So to counter balance this there is the neat adjustment control. The problem is mostly there, the adjustment control is limited to 12 which is never enough. The result is I have volume levelled music, but the sound my laptop produce at volume 100% everywhere isn't loud enough.

I know the Volume levelling is based on Replay gain standard where songs should be 83db and new standards 89db and this function is there for that and I denature it for a volume boost in my case which it's not designed for, but anyway it is a request and therefore not a bug.

So I would appreciate if the dev team could address my problem in some way. Some possible fix would be:

• Increase the adjustment limit
  • Add a volume boost somewhere.
  • Remove the "adjustment" control for a more pertinent "target" control. i.e. Target:100db (<-------- this would be awesome)

Thx for at least reading

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: [Feature Request] A story about the Replay Gain annoyance
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:06:45 pm »

Leveling is American spelling. Levelling is British spelling. Levelin' is how I say it.

I've had a similar experience to you. I'm not sure Replay Gain and/or DSP is the solution to a low-volume laptop.

But it's asking a lot to have Replay Gain manage a huge db range. To get this under control, I made a view sorted by the Replay Gain value. I could immediately see a few tracks that were way out of the normal range, some too loud, some too soft. Depending on which of these were in the current playlist, the average volume seen by MC was shifted abnormally. The solution was to fix the extreme recordings, essentially normalizing the deviants.

Using an audio editor, I adjusted the level of each of these to be more reasonable (I kept the originals and adjust copies). Then I put the corrected tracks into MC. Playback with Replay Gain active has worked much better ever since.

That said, I also use a DSP audio compressor from AudioProc.ca, because I like radio station type sound. (I wrote an article about this...) The combination of fixing bad tracks, then using Reply Gain and AudioProc (which also does multi-band processing to even out the sound of very different recordings) for playback, gives me a very consistent, smooth sound.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:03:17 am »

I've had a similar experience to you.

Me, too! I'm wondering, if one of the suggested fixes workarounds are possible. Would be nice to be able to use one!

sunfire7

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:18 am »

maybe adding a new dsp plug-in called Volume Boost or similar, wich combined to Volume leveling gives us what we want  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »

The preamp slider on the Equalizer can be used for a volume boost.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »

Because it was easy, build 57 will have:
Changed: Increased maximum boost / gain available in DSP Studio > Volume Leveling to 18 dB from 12 dB.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:55:21 am »

Because it was easy [...]

Hm, perhaps we should have asked earlier then :) Thanks for the change! Tomorrow I'll give it a try with my laptop!
Pages: [1]   Go Up