INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will it ever be possible to stream .avi's?  (Read 2238 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Will it ever be possible to stream .avi's?
« on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:30 am »

Will it ever be possible to stream .avi's?

i read... http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Library_Server  Some types of video files can be streamed, some can be streamed if you are willing to wait for the whole file to load first, and some cannot be streamed at all.

Files that are known to be streamable: .mov, .mpeg and .mpg. Files that will stream if you wait: avi, mp2 and wmv. Files that will not stream: DVD files.

is there any future for this? reason i ask is most of my library is .avi. and it would be nice to have these files play immediatelly once they are selected.

same question goes For dvd files... will we ever be able to just stream these?

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Will it ever be possible to stream .avi's?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:53:51 am »

Playing videos from Library Server should work much better with v15:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56617.0

If you're having a problem with .avi files, please start a thread with some more details.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:32:19 am »

all my .avi's play great but when connecting to library server they all seem to download first.. meaning they don't stream immediatelly. will that be possible? like it is with .mov,mpeg etc?

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:09 am »

The new J River URL Reader filter does not handle AVI files.  Possibly there is something special about AVI that can not be dealt with properly in the filter.  I will take another look at it.  It would be nice if the filter can handle avi files, but there is no guarantee.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:47:48 am »

Thank You Yaobing

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:41:59 am »

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this limitation a little more?  After playing around with DLNA for the past few days, I have MC15 version 57 as my DLNA server, and my firmware 3.30 PS3 as my DLNA client.  It works really well for AVI.  When I browse the files being served, I get a little thumbnail of each AVI file on the PS3.  As soon as I select that AVI, it launches.  There is no delay.  I watched a couple eps of Fringe last night, and it worked flawlessly.  It even had some cool features like jumping around within the AVI and it would start to play the scene within the little thumbnail so I could select to play from that point.  I tried 10xFF, 120xFF, reverse, pause, everything worked.  I was very impressed.  The info screen is amazing, everything you ever wanted to know about the file you are playing.

There was one odd little caveat.  If I let each AVI run to the very end, it would put up the pause symbol when it got to the end of the file and just stay on the screen that way until I hit the O button on the playstation remote.  Then it would end the file and return to the file selection screen.  I was expecting it to simply get to the end, and close the file.  Very small point, just wondering if that is normal.

Thanks,
DD.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:49:33 pm »

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this limitation a little more?  After playing around with DLNA for the past few days, I have MC15 version 57 as my DLNA server, and my firmware 3.30 PS3 as my DLNA client.  It works really well for AVI.  When I browse the files being served, I get a little thumbnail of each AVI file on the PS3.  As soon as I select that AVI, it launches.  There is no delay.  I watched a couple eps of Fringe last night, and it worked flawlessly.  It even had some cool features like jumping around within the AVI and it would start to play the scene within the little thumbnail so I could select to play from that point.  I tried 10xFF, 120xFF, reverse, pause, everything worked.  I was very impressed.  The info screen is amazing, everything you ever wanted to know about the file you are playing.
I think the problem they are discussing involves conversion.
In DLNA when any file is played we tell the renderer it's byte seekable and the renderer decides what chunks to read.
There was one odd little caveat.  If I let each AVI run to the very end, it would put up the pause symbol when it got to the end of the file and just stay on the screen that way until I hit the O button on the playstation remote.  Then it would end the file and return to the file selection screen.  I was expecting it to simply get to the end, and close the file.  Very small point, just wondering if that is normal.

Thanks,
DD.
I think that is normal. It's the behavior I see as well.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:01 am »

I think the problem they are discussing involves conversion.
In DLNA when any file is played we tell the renderer it's byte seekable and the renderer decides what chunks to read.I think that is normal. It's the behavior I see as well.

No conversion is involved.  Inefficient seeking is the essence of the problem.
Regular Library Server client uses DirectShow filters.  When avi is streamed, Microsoft's URL Reader filter could not jump from position to position to obtain file info.  When it needs to read to near the end of the file to parse it, it has to wait until the entire file is downloaded.

When a new version of MC15 (build 67 or higher) is released in a few days, avi files will be parsed by an improved "JRiver URL Reader" filter which will not need to read the entire file to parse it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »

Can mkvs do the same thing, or are you planning to have them be streamable too soon?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »

Can mkvs do the same thing, or are you planning to have them be streamable too soon?

MKVs were the first few types supported by this.  It should work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up