INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: performance and crashing of MC [solved]  (Read 1765 times)

azadar

• Recent member
performance and crashing of MC [solved]
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »

A month ago I bought new computer: AMD Phenom II X4 965 pr 3,40 Ghz; Windows 7 enterprise; 64-bit op.sys.; ATI HDMI Audio... ( I don't know which hardware informations one should need in order to help me solve my problems, so I wrote down everything I found possibly important )

For a long time now I've been using MC ( longer than 3 years now ). I upgraded to MC15 20 days ago and from the first moment on I experienced problems with it, and with time they just grew bigger...

At first MC15 didn't read/recognise my M3U playlists ( and I have lots of them ). Those same M3U playlists I've been creating for years in MC13 and 14. I found a solution in opening them one by one in wordpad and changing tags maually ( disc partition name ). Namely, MC15 did create Library, but it didn't got disc partition for playlists right ( external hard disc, I: on my computer )

But then few days ago I got message that MC15 update is available ( day after miscrosoft updated win7 ). What happened then is that every time I try to download update ( 15.0.058 ) it arrives to 16,7 MB and then download STOPS! Then I get notification: "Failed to download update."

Normally I would't care about it if my MC15 didn't begin to crash, quite frequently. Sometimes I cannot turn it down.

After one of those crashes I turned on MC again, but then I found out that half of my M3U playlists simply vanished. As if I somebody had erased them. They were in folder "Playlists" on same external hard disc where I keep my music on. I am sure of it because, as I already said, I manually adjusted them in wordpad several days before and I saved them there ( I always keep my playlists in that same folder, so that I can use them on whatever computer I attach my external had disc on and make library in whatever media player ).

If I only had backup copies of my beloved playlists, but I don't have it! It seems I will have to manually pick songs by looking on my ipod, one by one, and rebuild playlists. Not only that - approx. one third of songs ratings also vanished. I own vast collection of completely tagged music ( 180 GB ), so that this is disaster.

Maybe I should reinstall MC15? I don't know what to do? Maybe then at least songs ratings will come back? For M3U playlists I don't have any hopes, because they don't fisically exist as files anymore.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: problem with update, performance and crashing of MC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:16:05 pm »

Please update to build 58.  It's on the download page.

Restore a backup.  MC makes them automatically.

azadar

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

how should I update? normal update directly from the program itself doesn't go well ( stops at last 10 MB ).  should I download MC15 latest update from download page, deinstall the one I have on my computer and install completelly from the beginning that new one? and how do I backup files?
I am sorry to ask so many stupid questions, but I really don't know what to do and how to do it. please be just a little bit more descriptive in your answers

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:29 pm »

Please try visiting the download page.

If downloads don't finish, it may be security related software on your machine.

azadar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:10:30 am »

I did it!   :D
did update from your page and restored library from few days ago, and I have my lists ( and song ratings ) again! thank you.
i will not even ask why did this happen. the important thing is I have it all back. two years shorter of life, possible avoided heartattack, but here we are

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:09:12 am »

Good news.  Thanks for reporting back.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »

I did it!   :D
did update from your page and restored library from few days ago, and I have my lists ( and song ratings ) again! thank you.
i will not even ask why did this happen. the important thing is I have it all back. two years shorter of life, possible avoided heartattack, but here we are

If I might advise backing up that backup somewhere very safe  ;)
A USB key, or even uploading it to the web somewhere will mean you're better prepared if something like this happens again.

-Leezer-

azadar

• Recent member
Re: performance and crashing of MC [solved]
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »

I sure will make a veeeery secure update now! thx
Pages: [1]   Go Up