INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with library not updating from tags  (Read 2119 times)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
Problem with library not updating from tags
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:58:29 am »

Here is what I know...

I have most of my m4a files with a tag called Mood (this is automatically supplied by the LastFM plug for MusicPicard). I can see this tag populated in MusicPicard and Foobar.  Semicolon deliminated list.

I have created a Library Field called Mood of a string type.  

When I rightclick a file and ask it to update library from tags, nothing happens??

I assume this is not normal behaviour or must I do something else with the library field manager to get it to work?  [edit:  only seems to be a problem with m4a files, not mp3 and flac, for these mood is showing up]

What I might have done wrong...

The mood field is populated in some files.  I was duplicating the mood field to be .mood and of a list type so it was a little more pretty.  In my stupidity, I had all of my files selected and in the tag window for mood, I put in a space character.  I even hit yes to the question did I really want to update all 55k files, very stupid.  Annoyed with idea of losing all of these tags, I killed MC for update finished.

Has this somehow broken the ability to update this library field?

Have I missed a step that tells MC that a library field already exists in the tags?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Craig

PS I also have a Label tag in the files, created a new field in MC with same name, asked it to update from tags and nothing happens.  Is there something I am missing to

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with library not updating from tags
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:45:18 am »

First of all. When playing with new things, make a library backup. Look at your backups now, you'll probably have daily automated backups. In case things look crazy now... Second of all. When you tag your media you can easily correct the last step with ctrl + z.

The first error I see here, is that you say last.fm uses a field with semicolon delimited list, yet you have created a simple string field. I guess you'll have a problem there. Try to change the Mood field in MC to Semicolon delimited first. Let's hope that is all there is to it.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:14:05 am »

have played a little more...

mood with the semicolon string is importing into the field for the mp3 and flac files without problems.  the genre field is similar ( I then use custom fields of .genre or .mood as a list type to make it pretty).

seems to be a problem only with the m4a files.  does the update from tags not work for m4a files?  I did notice in foobar that the field is listed as <MOOD>.  I am assuming capitals don't matter and the brackets are just some syntax in foobar to say non-standard field.  Could this be an issue.

craig

(it is interesting in the mp3 files, when MC has updated after I have changed the mood tags in Picard, foobar no longer shows a mood tag but instead says the tag with the mood values is called "Comment".  Very odd but probably not related to above)

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:30:48 am »

I'm not sure if MC can read or write tags in M4A files at all. That might be the problem here. Someone else have to comment on that.

IF that is the case, your best bet would be to export and import playlists I think.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »

I found this back in MC13..
Again, Media Center can not write M4A tags.  We recommend using a less proprietary format.

Is this still the case?  It is not that it is impossible, Picard is doing it??

Does this also mean MC doesn't read them or has limited functionality with m4a tags?

Craig

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:18:34 pm »

thanks Jim,

In my case MC doesn't seem to be reading all tags from the M4a, or I guess there is a problem mapping the Mood tag that is the m4a file to the Mood field in MC.

Craig

PS Any plans on updating m4a functionality that aren't DRM protected? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up