INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: liscense restore  (Read 911 times)

w8onhim

liscense restore
« on: June 23, 2002, 06:24:45 pm »

Yes, I had version 6.  I backed up my liscense and downloaded what I thought was version 7.2, but it downloaded 8.  Now when I try to restore my liscense it states that the liscense that I have is invalid.  my email is w8onhim@insight.rr.com.  I understand the liscense policy, however I backed up my liscense and it doesn't work with version 8.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:liscense restore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2002, 06:27:12 pm »

We've switched to version 8.0.  We no longer provide 7.2 because we believe 8.0 is a better product and is more stable.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

hottuna

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2002, 07:01:09 pm »

This is the 2nd message that I've seen saying that version 7.2 is OUT and 8.0 is IN - slow down fella's 8.0 has only been out a couple of weeks!  

I spent some time upgrading to 8.0 this weekend, and then I spent some time reverting back to 7.2. Not that 8.0 isn't a respectable release, it's loaded with great stuff, but one feature I use a LOT became quite slow:  changing the Properties of songs, especially a list of songs e.g. changing the Genre of all of the songs by an Artist... s-l-o-w.

I'll keep an eye on future releases to see if the performance improves, until then FORTUNATELY I kept a copy of the 7.2 download, and you would be wise to leave it up there for your other customers who want it too.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2002, 07:21:34 pm »

Probably not what you want to hear Hottuna, but I have found, and I would expect others could verify, that MJ8 is faster, across the board, in all departments, by a good margin.

It's a tad slower to launch, then everything else is faster, particularly database functions.

That, combined with the expansion of features MJ8 has over MJ7, which are way too numerous to list here, makes conversion to MJ8 a no-brainer, IMHO.

And just so you know, I don't work for JRiver, or even live on the same continent that they do.

lise

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2002, 10:17:14 pm »

Callithumpian,

"It's a tad slower to launch".  There was a thread yesterday or the day before about this.  Someone (Zevele?) suggested some tips to make it faster.  They work.   One of the tips was to change the startup screen from "start" to "Media Library" (Settings > Options > Startup Settings, under "startup page" select Media library".)  It saves about 2-4 seconds.  I've also disabled  "show splash screen" on the same page.  I don't know if this  makes it faster or not, but it "feels" faster Next Page

hottuna

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 03:58:52 am »

Callithumpian, to be clear I'm not advocating that people stick with 7.2 - by all means upgrade to 8.0 it is a great product. What I am suggesting is that JRiver may want to keep 7.2 available (for a time) for existing paying customers who for whatever reason decide to revert to 7.2.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2002, 05:12:20 am »

I appreciate that what you say makes sense from your point of view, but we just can't provide good support for two versions.  We're switching to 8.0 as fast as we can.

The speed problem you noticed might be related to ID3V2 tags.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

nila

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2002, 07:43:13 am »

JimH,
Just an idea, not sure if it'd be feasible as it'd depend on the size of your company, size of sales etc.
But it might be worth just having one guy in your company learn v7 really well and leave him providing support for it while the rest of the company moves on with v8.
That way if anyone has v7 problems he can deal with them and that way you can keep all your old customers happy as well.
Just a thought,

Nila
Pages: [1]   Go Up