INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Album Artist" versus "Artist"  (Read 1185 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
"Album Artist" versus "Artist"
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:08:55 pm »

I'm trying to figure out why I can have 2 physical music libraries, both identical but located on different external drives, but they import differently into 2 different installations of MC15.  The problem seems to center around an interpretation of "Artist" or "album artist".  On one installation, the library sorts fine relative to "artist".  For example, for a given artist, all albums will show.  However, for the other install, some albums will be missing ... and I find in the tags that "album artist" is not the same as "artist", and if I make them the same, then all is fine.  The BIG problem is associated with finding these discrepancies ... i.e., I have stumble upon them to realize the problem.  If my tag definitions are all based on "artist", how do I find and fix discrepancies associated with "album artist"??

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

roopertd

• Recent member
Re: "Album Artist" versus "Artist"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:32:47 pm »

I dont use the album artist field so i clear it for all audio files.
To do so, i select all of the music in my library, then using the tag window i clear the album artist field.
I also do this for Disc #, Copyright, Description, Label, etc.
I like to  keep my tags to a minimum.

Just make sure you dont need the album artist field if you decide to remove it.
For soundtracks and compilations it may be useful, but instead of using it you can
enter "Soundtrack' as the artist and "[Artist] - [Name]" as the Name.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: "Album Artist" versus "Artist"
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:52:01 pm »

There were some tag reading changes that may explain the differencies (assuming one library is old and the other one is newly created).

The Album Artist logic and the correct usage is explained here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up