INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Multiple users  (Read 1119 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
Feature request: Multiple users
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:53:30 am »

Feature request for music libraries: Multiple users with shared tag information...

• Ability for multiple users to access a library at same time. (currently possible)
  • User login and identification.
  • Ability for each user to rate songs and maintain thier own ratings (or tags) (currently not possible)
  • Ability for each user to filter songs based on their ratings (or other users ratings) (currently not possible)
  • Ability for admin user to set permissions for other users (currently not possible)

Myself and my girlfriend access the same library, but we have different taste in music. Currently only one of us can rate the music and this causes issues (not to mention a few arguments!). 

It would be nice if we could both rate the music in the library - and share this information between each other.  For example: A song could be Kendall Payne - Never Leave [chris=5 star] [melanie=2 star]

Examples of benefits:
Both of us could rate music based on our own personal preference - and filter accordingly
I would be able to filter all music that she has rated 4 or 5 star (but music that I have not rated yet).
When having a 'romatic dinner', I could play all music that I rate 4 or 5 star (but not music that she has rated 1 or 2 star).
There are many other benefits - too many to mention.

This is the motivation behind the above request/suggestion.
Sorry this is so brief, but I don't have enough time to explain the idea in more detail.

Other things to consider:
  • Other tag information

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Multiple users
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:52:32 am »

you add your custom fields in Tools/manage library fields

there you can set how many star fields you want  :)
MT5FR

chriswale

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:27 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I had already considered this.

Although I might create two extra fields [chris's rating] [melanie's rating], I don't think it is currently possible for 2 people to edit these tags while listening to the same library at the same time from different PC's?  The library is stored on the media server. Only one of us will be able to edit the ratings. Am I correct?
This is not ideal, as we would both like to be able to rate music.

At the same time, if she is listening to music on my computer, she needs to be able to login as her user.

3rd user: I would also like to allow a 3rd user to access the library, but I do not want them to be able to edit anything - just play.
Furthermore, I would like to hide certain music from the 3rd user based on explicit vocals which I have tagged.

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:08:52 am »

Although I might create two extra fields [chris's rating] [melanie's rating], I don't think it is currently possible for 2 people to edit these tags while listening to the same library at the same time from different PC's?  The library is stored on the media server. Only one of us will be able to edit the ratings. Am I correct? This is not ideal, as we would both like to be able to rate music.

using the library server you sync back the changes, to respectivly field, then it should not be a problem..set up some views, one for chris and one for melanie.

if you want/have to use the the rating possibility in the top bar, you could do that as well, but then you need to take one extra step (since it is exclusive linked to field[rating])...first rate then move the rating from field [rating] ->[chris rating] then sync..

At the same time, if she is listening to music on my computer, she needs to be able to login as her user.

same here, set up different views and use the move command

3rd user: I would also like to allow a 3rd user to access the library, but I do not want them to be able to edit anything - just play.
Furthermore, I would like to hide certain music from the 3rd user based on explicit vocals which I have tagged.

then you need to play around with "party mode" or "read only"...so that instance start in either of those modes..
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up