INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TO THE AUTHORS OF Media Jukebox, Missing two important functions in your pr  (Read 2006 times)

Arthur

I am doing a review about your programm for a Dutch magazine. And i like your programm (after two day's playing) but i am missing two important functions.
So before we publish something we allways ask the authors if we have overseen this features or behaivor, or that they are really missing in your programm.

Two big minus points in our opinion:

1 -
When playing a stream from the internet, all information about artist and title is missing.
Example: when connected to http://www.digitallyimported.com/mp3/eurodance128k_europe.pls all the information about what's playing is missing.
The only thing that is displayed in your programm:
Listening to play/sing "DIGITALLY - IMPORTED -EuroDance Channel! [firewalls]'off the album
In other streaming-players the correct artist and title is mentioned

2 -
After arranging all my music in your programm and sorting it the way i want, there is no option to save my settings in case i need to reinstall my system or after an accident etc.

Also the following actions are complicated or could not be completed:

3 -
I wanted to add 1 mp3 song to my playlist from a folder but it scanned my hole harddisk and added all playable files from my harddisk to the playlist (including system sounds from my operating system).

4 -
Adding a playlist from the ineternet is also complicated. Suggestion: Add a right mouse button option whith the option enter URL or Filename

5 -
Possibility to make your own visualization.

Overall impession:
Very nice interface
Good sound quality
Rich feature set for making your own playlist, favorites
Good support for media formats

I hope you can give me a reply on short notice

Arthur Bodegom
From The NETHERLANDS

Arthur

Forgot to ask, what kind of upgrade rules are in effect, so in our case we bought it two day's ago, what will happen when your team brings out version 9 over two months.
Do i have to pay for it or is there an upgrade right for a certain period.

Arthur

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:TO THE AUTHORS OF Media Jukebox,
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2002, 02:53:50 pm »

Hi Arthur,
We appreciate your work.  I hope you are reviewing 8.0.  The latest build, with bug fixes, is on Interact here.  It's 8.0.302.

> When playing a stream from the internet, all information about artist and title is missing.
> Example: when connected to http://www.digitallyimported.com/mp3/eurodance128k_europe.pls all the > information about what's playing is missing.
> The only thing that is displayed in your programm:
> Listening to play/sing "DIGITALLY - IMPORTED -EuroDance Channel! [firewalls]'off the album
> In other streaming-players the correct artist and title is mentioned

Here's what I get if I play your stream, right click on playing now, and do Copy Listening to:

Listening to: 'D I G I T A L L Y - I M P O R T E D - EuroDance channel! (Netherlands)' on Media Jukebox

If there's more info in the stream, we could add it in a future version.

Did you switch to the Playing Now window?

> After arranging all my music in your programm and sorting it the way i want, there is no
> option to save my settings in case i need to reinstall my system or after an accident etc.

Please explore the options under File/Library and File/Playlist.

> I wanted to add 1 mp3 song to my playlist from a folder but it scanned my hole harddisk and
> added all playable files from my harddisk to the playlist (including system sounds from
> my operating system).

In Windows Explorer, a right click gives you options for MJ (8.0).  Choose import.

Or in Windows Explorer, drag and drop the file in the album of your choice.

In MJ, the import function has a browse button with several dots.  You can use it to find the directory you want.

You might explore the advanced options on import.

> Adding a playlist from the ineternet is also complicated. Suggestion: Add a right mouse
> button option whith the option enter URL or Filename

If you could give me an example of a playlist, I might be able to help.  But thanks for the suggestion.

> Possibility to make your own visualization.

It's in Visualization Studio.  In the Playing Now window, with visualizations on, right click on the visualization and choose Visualization Studio.

> What kind of upgrade rules are in effect, so in our case we bought it two day's ago, what
> will happen when your team brings out version 9 over two months.
> Do i have to pay for it or is there an upgrade right for a certain period.

We don't have a policy for version 9.0.  It isn't written unfortunately.  In the past we have allowed full use of a version with the license from the previous version.  In some cases, we have also provided a discount for upgrades from versions prior to the previous version, but that has become so complex that we have not done it for 8.0.  Example: a 7.0 license will open up all functionality of version 8.0.  A 6.0 license will not.

> Overall impression:
> Very nice interface
> Good sound quality
> Rich feature set for making your own playlist, favorites
> Good support for media formats

Thanks.  If your review isn't due until Tuesday or later, other people from JRiver may be able to add to my answers on Monday.

Thanks again for taking a look.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Arthur

RE:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2002, 03:51:32 pm »

Thanks for responding.

Yes i am using version 8.0.302

Yes when playing the stream i was in the Playing now window. Check for yourself in other programms like WINAMP what information is availeble in the streams.
As an other example i took your number one when clicking on [Web Media] and choosing the number 1:

JJ Mckay's Hot Hit Radio!
In WINAMP i now can see: Christopher Cross - Caught Between the Moon

*** I REALLY MIS THIS FEATURE IN YOUR PROGRAMM, SUCH A SHAME IT'S NOT THERE ***

Backup completed succesfull, and also the restore (after unzipping the 2 files) SO WORKING OKE.

Adding 1 file from Windows right mouse menu works great, also from within your programm. My mistake was looking for a menu option like Add song to playlist.

Adding a playlist from the ineternet is also complicated. Suggestion: Add a right mouse button option whith the option enter URL or Filename ?

Possibility to make your own visualization ?

Conclusion: Like your programm, but the missing information in the streams is sad. Could you add it in the next build. I will than skip the article to the next build.

Arthur

JimH

RE:TO THE AUTHORS OF Media Jukebox
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2002, 04:13:30 pm »

Yes, probably.  We'll take a look Monday.

Time for bed, isn't it?
Jim Hillegass

Arthur

RE:
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2002, 04:27:44 pm »

Yep correct it's 02:25 in the Netherlands so time to get some sleep.

I will check back on monday evening to see what's happening with the streams.

Thanks for the direct answers.

Arthur

JimH

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2002, 04:32:36 pm »

You're welcome and good night.

Looking forward to sailing on the Isel Meer again.  Nice times there, dankya vell.
Jim Hillegass

Hawk

Arthur

For what magazine do you write?
Dan kan ik de bespreking lezen. Next Page
[then I can read the review].

Be sure to check out ALL the options of this program *before*
reviewing it.

Hawk from Nederland.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen

Possibility to make your own visualization ?

As Jim mentioned above, take a look at Visualization Studio. It's a very powerful but easy to use visualization editor. It's based on the idea of creating a dataflow visualization graph where each node transform the data and then sends it to next element in the graph. The easiest way to get started is to enable one of the default visualization and then edit it in Visualization Studio

As you have probably already noticed, the best features in MJ are related to organization: smartlist, view schemes and such

Be sure to also check out the cool Slide Show plugin that can pull images related to your music from the Google databack during playback

Enjoy
Claudio (just your average MJ fan)

Arthur

@Hawk and @JimH
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2002, 11:34:03 am »

@Hawk, kijk even op www.breekpunt.nl

Ons bedrijf is daar formeel een sponsor (www.dionar.nl) en zij hebben ons al vaker verzocht om een zakelijk stukje te schrijven (hoort ook bij ons bedrijf) maar heb daar geen zin. En heb besloten om een stukje te schrijven over de integratie van een PC in de thuis-installatie voor multimedia toepassingen.
Vandaar ook dat ik dit pakket heb gekocht om te kijken of het wat is.

@JimH
Sailing on the IJsselmeer sounds good, depending on the weather.
Dank je wel for answering my questions, plaese let me know if you can fix the info in the streams

Arthur

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2002, 12:42:51 pm »

Arthur,

>> When playing a stream from the internet, all information about artist and title is missing.
Adding the streaming info is a little bit complicated because it uses call back from the server using UDP protocol but we will take a look at it next week. Hold your review till next build (sometime next week)

The reason for the functionality not being implemented is that nobody ever requested it.

Regards,
Nikolay Sokratov
CTO, JRiver, Inc.

Arthur

@Nikolay
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2002, 01:41:51 pm »

I will put it on hold, really like your programm and i am surprised that nobody asked for the stream information very handy when listening and you like the song.

If i am alloud to make an other suggestion ? Is there a possibility to let the custumor arrange the layout from the upper-right window (Play Now mode and Track-info selected) where you can see the name of artist, title etc. in such a way:

- that you can put your own background there or color
- Choose what to display like only Artist and title
- Select your own font size (In a home theater you sit average 5 meters of the television, so it's hard to raed)
- Picture of the Jukebox is rather large

I hope you like me suggestions, perhaps other users can give there input to about the suggestions i have made.

Almost looking like your external advisor

Arthur

JimH

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2002, 01:58:12 pm »

It's OK to be an adviser.  We have a lot of them.  Often the ideas are great.  Sometimes not, but we benefit immensely from the constant detailed feedback.

Under Playing Now, did you try "Find CD" and "Artist Info&
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up