INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uncheck "Update tags when file info changes" problem  (Read 1100 times)

Peter Engrav

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Uncheck "Update tags when file info changes" problem
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:19:55 pm »

Backstory -

I've been having performance problems for quite awhile (not sure if was in 15 transition or earlier) with updating tags (renaming tracks, etc.) in that there's a sort of peeving (roughly a second) little hang if I (a) change a track's name, say, then (b) arrow down to put the selection into the next track's name (that part is speedy) and then (c) either try to start typing or press cursor left/right/etc. keys.

Anyway, today I thought maybe it's somehow trying to update tags in files synchronously. So I unchecked "Update tags when file info changes". Didn't change the perf stuff. But did cause amusing situation where I can edit a bunch of tags, see those changes, then sit there for a few minutes, and the see all of my edits revert.  For example, had a new CD with tracks named Track01, Track02, etc. Typed in proper names for them. Went to answer the phone. Came back and roughly half of them (not all!) had reverted. Then a moment later the artist I had typed in reverted (such that tracks weren't in the query anymore and disappeared!).

It's possible there's another machine somewhere connected via library server? Some kind of weird "last writer doesn't win" bug?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Uncheck "Update tags when file info changes" - Hilarity Ensues
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »

Are you ripping the CD?  Are the tracks on the CD or on your PC?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Uncheck "Update tags when file info changes" problem
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:22:28 am »

AFAIK, the library field values can change automatically only if the auto-import feature is set to monitor external changes (and thus reread the tags if the files' timestamps have changed). I don't understand how this feature could revert your changes.

Though, if you have set MC to import cue files and you have valid EAC generated cue files in the file folders it might be possible that MC would read the old cue data and replace the library data. However, I have never seen that happening and I don't know what conditions could trigger this kind of behavior.

In general, the first tag write may be slower than usual if you have the option to embed cover art enabled. (Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag)

The FLAC tags are stored in the beginning of the file. When embedded cover art is added usually a complete file rewrite is needed because the the image file is likely to be a lot bigger than the small padding area that is reserved for future tag changes (padding is enabled by default in the FLAC encoder).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up