INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Manage Library Fields" - Can not change "Flags"  (Read 2848 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
"Manage Library Fields" - Can not change "Flags"
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:46:44 am »

I'm trying to modify the Flags for Fields like "Track #" and "Artist Album" so I can use them for my Music Videos just like Audio Albums but the Flags Drop down is greyed out.  Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Manage Library Fields" - Can not change "Flags"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:03:15 am »

The only way I could find to achieve this was to create a panes based view and add the track # and artist categories (panes) using the full "customise view" option.

Using the "Add category to left/right" options does not expose the fields for selection, and in the tag window, I find it impossible to get these fields to show for a pure 'video only' view. Even when videos are clearly tagged with [track #] data, the field still won't show in the tag window when using the "tags with values" option.

Once your view is set up, select files from the list and use pane tagging check boxes to tag accordingly.

-marko.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:35:25 am »

I have used track numbers with my video files since video support was introduced. Back then there was no predefined "Episode" field and no locked categories in the field options. It was natural to use the existing track number field. I also used the Artist and Album fields because they were already in my configured view schemes.

So I still have list views like this:

Currently you can trick MC by temporarily changing a list view to include also audio files and adding the columns. The columns will stay when the view is reverted to show only video files. Though, in AW > Tag the "audio" fields will show up only when the mode is "Show Tags In Current View".

In general, the locking is unnecessary. It may be good to have the default categories set, but I can't see why the settings must be locked.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gappie

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:38:17 am »

i do the tagging of track # for videos in a list view, details. when you have a list with videoos, go to the header and choose presets, audio. change to your liking and maybe add it as a new preset. i like for instance, how i can use fill track from list order this way.

:)
gab

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:11:17 am »

Thanks for the tips but really - - we all work around this instead of suggestion to the JR'ers to modify it (or am I missing something?).  Anyway I can get the Track # up using gappie's suggestion but "Album Artist" / "Album Artist (Auto)" still does not appear as a field to add....(which you need to Compilations)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:16:54 am »

Worked it out - Add an Expression Col --> Insert Field --> Pick AlbumArtist(Auto) etc!

Phew - glad that was straight forward  ::)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:23:08 am »

Here is one Album tagged up (correctly I think) - now to see how Theater View likes it all!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:18:53 am »

OK I've forgotten! - I have my Theater View working well (Genre / Album Artist(auto) / Album) but how do I edit what Meta Data appears in the TheaterView box (I want to add Artist for example)?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

gappie

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:38 am »

OK I've forgotten! - I have my Theater View working well (Genre / Album Artist(auto) / Album) but how do I edit what Meta Data appears in the TheaterView box (I want to add Artist for example)?
Thanks
Nathan
when you go to options>theater view there is an item, customize info panel

here you can set where what shows for all you video files. you could also add a special template called music videos and add in the rule for that template that the genre is music video (for instance), so you can gave a different layout for you music video and the other videos. then make sure the template is above the video template. the templates are read from the top (if i remember well).

gab

gappie

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 06:34:00 am »

Worked it out - Add an Expression Col --> Insert Field --> Pick AlbumArtist(Auto) etc!

Phew - glad that was straight forward  ::)
;D
an other way is combining alex and mine method. just make a temporary view with all your media. set the columns the way you want and save it as a preset, for instance 'music videos'

gab

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:48:00 am »

gab - thanks for that (It is amazing what you don't see when it is right in front of your face).  FYI I did also save my Std View layout as a preset.
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

MusicHawk

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 10:29:10 am »

Thanks for sharing some good solutions. Of course, tricks/workarounds often rely on finding places where JR failed to block an action that is in other places is prevented. The trouble with any workaround is, JR might "fix" their oversight and prevent the workaround. Climbing on my soapbox...

As is often mentioned, there are several areas where fields are fully or partially locked, where views are restricted, etc. (I keep wishing the Rating "stars" and Image File fields would be unlocked, for instance). Another example is the forced prevention of using a saved view as a saved playlist and vice versa. The saved files can be hacked, but that seems to prove the difference is trivial. So why make this very difficult for users? Other parts of MC can be hacked (registry, certain text-type config files), but it's undocumented and subject to change.

I wish JR would unlock all the settings, actions and options.

I have no doubt that JR's intentions are good, and that most MC restrictions are "for the user's own good". JR is trying to provide a stable product environment. But there are many levels of users, and already lots that can be configured that can mess up MC, so the reasons for the current restrictions are unclear. If there's a fear of breaking something, is it really a universal risk, or just an attempt to protect users from themselves? I wish JR would explain...

But could there be a compromise? Most database systems limit users, but also provide an admin and/or a bare-metal mode. Even Microsoft Windows allows a deep level of diddling for those who need it. How about giving MC a super-user mode or secret menu or alternate startup flag mode that would let all this be controlled? Even then, show strong messages about the "risks" ("Warning: Changing these settings could reduce or prevent compatibility with other products...") but don't block true power users from total configuration and customization. Why not?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up