INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A view to solve all my problems with cover art storage  (Read 951 times)

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
A view to solve all my problems with cover art storage
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:58 pm »

Man, I cant stand it when I have an m4a or an externally linked piece of cover art. Inevitably, I end up sharing with a friend, syncing with a device, phone, mp3 player and the cover art doesn't follow because links/sidecars are broken.

Can I create a view inside MC that will show me all the files that have externally linked "Image File"? That way I can easily go through my collection and solve this problem for good.

Thanks in advance.

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: A view to solve all my problems with cover art storage
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:18:30 pm »

Context: I don't use m4a or similar files so don't know how a sidecar behaves. All my files can store images internally, but I don't want this. My files either have external cover art, or none at all. If sidecar files do something different, this method might not help you.

In my situation, the path to a track's external cover art is stored in field Image File.

To identify tracks that have a path to an external image, I have a Smartlist with expression  -[Image File]=[] which means include only if field Image File is not empty. Therefore, the playlist does not show tracks that have no external image file. (The opposite behavior would be useful to show what tracks "need" images, but that's a different project.)

To see where the external image files are located, I add column Image File to the playlist view. I sort and group on it to see file path patterns and the various locations of image files -- the usefulness of doing this depends on how the library is set up. (I have all my cover art in one folder.)

I created this special "Has Cover Art" smartlist years ago, and use it periodically to check and correct cover art link problems.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up