INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will something like this ever be added ? Update sync to external device.....  (Read 1089 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe

I know I've brought this up before and by a few others over the years here.  I'm gonna ask again because I really would love to see it and have to think there must be others that would benefit as well.

I sync several different playlists to a usb flashdrive.  I use this in my car stereo.  As far I I'm aware there are no car stereos that support playlists.  They all play based on the actual file structure on the drive.  If I'm syncing complete albums this is ok because I can setup a folder rule that creates a folder for each album.  However I also like to sync playlists of random tracks but sometimes really want those tracks in a specific order.  I need some kind of filename rule for sync'ing along with the folder rule.  It would be nice as well if each sync'd playlist could have its own folder and filename rule.  Be nice to be able to setup a rule like this......

folder rule:
Misc\[Playlist]\
Where [Playlist] is a dynamically created folder based on the playlist name to be sync'd

filename rule:
[seq] - [Artist] - [Name]
Where [seq] is a number that represents the tracks order in the playlist.  Otherwise when I playback on the stereo the tracks are ordered alphabetically because of the filesystem structure, which I don't want.

On a slightly different note.  Because no car stereo supports replaygain as well using MC for the entire sync'ing process doesn't work for me either.  Its at least a 2 or 3 step process using other programs to acheive the desired outcome, which is obviously consistent level of playback.  mp3gain if a free open commandline program that modifies an mp3 based on it replaygain value and is loseless and completely reversible.  I have used several other programs that call the the commandline mp3 gain during the sync so that the file written to the flashdrive has an average db level consistent with all other tracks.  This can be done with any loseless file such as flac as well.  Just decode the file, adjust the average level of that, then re-encode back to the loseless format before writing to the device.

I still use MC despite the not having this flexibility because it's simply the best at managing and searching your library with.  It would just be nice if I didn't have to go to other programs to accomplish what I need.  You can't really buy a car stereo these days that doesn't support at least mp3 playback.  Just would like to see better support for them.  I know I could buy an ipod or whatever to interface with my stereo but it seems like a waste since the only time I listen to music is sitting in front of the computer, in my car or in my living room.  None of which require a portable player.

Anyhow, just a few of my thoughts.  Thanks for making a great program.

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe

I just realized I should have probably posted this in the Portable Devices forum.  Move it there if that's the case.  Thx
Pages: [1]   Go Up