INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPgrade from 14 to 15 and back  (Read 1049 times)

captn_wow

UPgrade from 14 to 15 and back
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

I tried MJ 15 but decided i was happy with MJ 14.
I unloaded MJ 15 and started MJ14, I get a message that I have to upgfrade to 14.0.165 for media center to work.
So I go through the upgrade routine.
After upgrade I try to open media center and it tells me it will not operate on my operating system.
[profanity removed by JimH]
What is necessary to straighten out programe?
Or if this is standard should I just switch to different media player???

rhowland

• Recent member
Re: UPgrade from 14 to 15 and back
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

Did you ever get a reply?? I'm at version 12.X.X. Look ups no longer work. I have many custom fields and I am scarred to death to upgrade, but again since lookups always fail if I want to rip a CD, I have to use WMP for the rip. Then I have to import into my 12.x.x database. Any advice?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 05:46:10 am »

You can install and use MC15 without altering your MC12 instance anyhow. The old version will continue to work as before.

It might be a good idea to first just explore the new features and options with a minimal library and import only a few test files.

MC15 uses some redesigned file tags that are incompatible with MC12. To preserve your old file tags you can disable Auto-Import (Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > untick: Run Auto-Import in background) and file tagging (Options > General > Update tags when file info changes).

When you are ready to try your full library, simply create a library backup file in MC12 (store it in an easily accessible location) and restore the file in MC15*. You can still keep Auto-Import and Tagging disabled to prevent MC15 from doing any file changes.

The restored library will be separate from your MC12 library. MC15 will overwrite an older library (i.e. update the database version) only if you set a new library in Library Manger to use directly a path that points to an old library.

If you later decide to uninstall MC12 and you have cover art files stored in the default location (under the MC12 application data location) you will need to move them before uninstalling MC12, but you don't need to worry about that yet. MC15 has a tool that can move the cover art files.

EDIT: * When restoring, don't tick the new option to restore also the settings. It works only with library backup files that are created with MC14 or newer.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:17:37 am »

I'm at version 12.X.X. Look ups no longer work.

I forgot to comment on this one. I just tested the cover art and CD database lookup tools on MC12 and they worked just fine. Perhaps your firewall settings have changed or there was a temporary outage.

However, the CD database lookup is now even better in MC15 because it uses freedb in addition to YADB.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up