INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VGA vs. HDMI -- full screen  (Read 1855 times)

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
VGA vs. HDMI -- full screen
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »

This seemed like the best forum to post this question because it's about television.  I currently have my laptop connected to my TV using VGA. No matter what resolution I select on the laptop, the image will not fill the entire TV screen. Depending on the resolution I choose, either it shows up 4:3 with black bars on the sides, or letter boxed inside that 4:3 area, so there is black all around. Yet when I play a wide scree DVD on my set-top DVD player, it automatically fills the entire screen with no black bars. I don't have to change any settings on my DVD player or TV for that to happen. How can I get my computer's desktop to fill the entire screen? Is this a limitation of VGA? Would using HDMI correct this? My laptop doesn't have HDMI, otherwise that's what I'd be using, but when I get an HTPC, I'm sure it will have HDMI.

For those of you who use MC15 to play DVD's on your television, how do they look? If I can't get a widescreen DVD to fill the entire display, I may as well continue using my set-top player. I hope there is a way to do it with a PC though.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: VGA vs. HDMI -- full screen
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:17:30 pm »

Are you using a 16:9 resolution? eg 1360x765 or 1920x1080

I get full screen using these two resolutions on my PC's.

The 1360x765 is through a VGA input on the TV screen and that works fine.

Richard

Pages: [1]   Go Up