INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outlook failing after upgrade to Media Center 15.0.95  (Read 961 times)

chophouse

• Recent member
Outlook failing after upgrade to Media Center 15.0.95
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:25 pm »

My installation of Outlook 2000 started failing last week immediately after I upgraded to iTunes 10.0.0.68 and J. Rivers Media Center 15.0.95.  Now I cannot open Outlook. 

When I try, Outlook either opens for about 5 to 10 seconds, displays the hourglass icon and then closes, or it never opens at all.  Either way, I can see the outlook.exe process come up in Task Manager, and then go away.  I did notice that every time I try and it opens/then closes, that the outlook.pst and archive.pst files receive a new, current timestamp.

I have tried the following suggested actions with no effect on the problem

- Started Outlook in safe mode
- Using RegEdit, set LoadBehavior for iTunesAddIn.CalendarHelper to 0.  Located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Outlook/Addins/iTunesAddIn.CalendarHelper
- Ran scanpst.exe on both outlook.pst and archive.pst files. No problems found
- Ran AVAST! anti virus, full scan, removed 1 infection found, in an old backup file (surfacetex_com[1].htm). 
- Cleaned registry and system files with RegInOut.  Defragged registry as well.
- Deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/Outlook/Addins/iTunesAddIn.CalendarHelper
- Uninstalled iTunes
- Started Outlook with /a switch

Can you please advise if others who have upgraded to Media Center 15 have had similar problems - and better still, how to fix it? ?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Outlook failing after upgrade to Media Center 15.0.95
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:01 pm »

i doubt it has something to do with itunes or mc, and i always love to blame itunes  ;). but i have had my part of broken outlook pst files. im on 2007 for a hwile now and they have a repair utility. not sure anymore about 2000.
a quick search gave me something like this:http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html

:)
gab

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:30:28 pm »

Unfortunately, correlation does not always equal causation.  It is EXTREMELY unlikely that MC (or iTunes for that matter) caused this issue (and MC 15.0.95 has been out for quite a while, and we'd have seen a huge rash of issues if so).  I'll say this... It is not a good sign that you found a virus on your system.  It is quite possible that the virus damaged your PST file, or your Outlook install in some other way.  Viruses commonly attack email clients.

One thing I've seen before is problems with a PST file as it approaches the 2GB file size limit of Outlook 2000.  This can cause all sorts of problems if you haven't been using the Archive features of Outlook and you have a lot of mail in there.

There also could be problems with your Profile that could cause this.  You can back up your PST files, create a new Profile, and then make sure Outlook launches, and then replace the new empty PST files with your old ones.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:18 pm »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up