INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (solved) some mkv files can't be played by MC  (Read 2754 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
(solved) some mkv files can't be played by MC
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:25:05 am »

I've just converted some DVDs to single MKV files using MakeMKV.

While some of those MKV files work with MC, some others don't work:
when I hit the play button, MC opens the file but it does nothing: the position is stuck at 0:00.

With those files I get exactly the same behavior with Windows Media Player

I tried changing MC playback method for MKV files, but whatever I set, the best I can get is that the MC starts play only the audio part of the file, while the screen stays black.

Media Player Classic can play all the problematic MKV files.
Right clicking on the MP Classic screen while playing one of those files, it shows these filters are being used:

So please, how can I get MC to play these files?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: some mkv files can't be played by MC
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:08 am »

That's a filter problem.  MPC doesn't always use the system default filters, because it has a bunch of stuff built in now.  That makes it more reliable and easier to use, but a worse test of the DirectShow playback system on your machine.

Set the Playback Method for MKV files back to Automatic.  Then, play one of the broken files back in MC, right click in the playback area and choose: DirectShow Filters -> Copy graph info to clipboard.  Then come back here and paste the code for us.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

robydago

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:21:09 pm »

Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\combined community codec pack\filters\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
        CLSID: {9852A670-F845-491B-9BE6-EBD841B8A613}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\combined community codec pack\filters\vsfilter.dll
        Input Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Subtitle' of filter 'J:\library\video\fiction_movies\italiani\Il Marchese del Grillo.mkv'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {E487EB08-6B26-4BE9-9DD3-993434D313FD}  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {F7239E31-9599-4E43-8DD5-FBAF75CF37F1}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {F7239E31-9599-4E43-8DD5-FBAF75CF37F1}
        Input Pin 'Input'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'J:\library\video\fiction_movies\italiani\Il Marchese del Grillo.mkv'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'

Filter 'MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {25AD5740-4DE0-4CF8-952A-2AEF53AC4321}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\common files\adobe\dva\com\rel1\ad2mcdsmpeg.ax
        Input Pin 'Video In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'J:\library\video\fiction_movies\italiani\Il Marchese del Grillo.mkv'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video In' of filter 'MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder'

Filter 'J:\library\video\fiction_movies\italiani\Il Marchese del Grillo.mkv'
        CLSID: {55DA30FC-F16B-49FC-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\combined community codec pack\filters\haali\splitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Output Pin 'Subtitle'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version)'
            Major type Unknown GUID Name: {E487EB08-6B26-4BE9-9DD3-993434D313FD}  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {F7239E31-9599-4E43-8DD5-FBAF75CF37F1}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {F7239E31-9599-4E43-8DD5-FBAF75CF37F1}

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »

I guess Adobe's MPEG2 decoder is usable only with Adobe programs.

You can enable MPEG2 decoding in the FFDShow Video Decoder options. (Codecs > MPEG2 > libavcodec)

If that alone does not help, you can set filters for MKV in MC (Source Filter: Haali Media Splitter, Other Filters: FFDShow Video Decoder)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

robydago

(SOLVED) some mkv files can't be played by MC
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:01:07 pm »

Thanks to both Glynor and AlexB!

Setting FFDShow as suggested by Alex did the trick!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: (solved) some mkv files can't be played by MC
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:35:41 pm »

Good eye, Alex.  I've had issues with that exact filter in the past.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up