INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync'ing to folder not recognizing existing files  (Read 1278 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Sync'ing to folder not recognizing existing files
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:44:51 pm »

I'm using MC15 to sync a playlist to a folder, but it's insisting on putting all files "in queue" whenever I ask to 'recheck sync'(?)  That is, I just sync'd 4000 tracks to another directory, but at the end (... a 5hr process ...), I simply wanted to add a few albums ... 'recheck sync' ... and every file is in the queue again(??)  Why is this happening?  What additional info can I provide?

TIA & cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: Sync'ing to folder not recognizing existing files
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:38:39 am »

I've tried to do this a couple more times and the results were mixed ... one attempt created 2-3 versions of the same file, and the last attempt only wrote less than half the files.

What I'm trying to do is create a sync folder of tracks for iTunes.  That is, I got halfway thru the instructions for MCiS, to realize it may not work for me because I need to downsample or convert non-supported oggs.  This demands a smartlist, and I couldn't figure out how to simply add/remove tracks to/from a smart list.

In any case, MCiS instructed me to create a device and point it at a folder (the iTunes folder).  I thought ... "well, this is all I need really."  Furthermore, my past usage of MC15 with a Windows Mobile device implied that it should work (ie, configure WinMo sync as device, which allows it to look similar to a removable drive).  Well, apparently a harddrive folder is different from a device (... even a USB "thumb" drive" ...) because it's not working.

Question:  If this can work with a USB drive, why can't it work with a harddrive folder?

TIA  :)

gappie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:00 am »

this might only be of small help. but i also sinc a bunch of files to a folder as a device, all files get converted (to wav in my case). and it seems to be working as you expect it to works. no doubles and only queuing what needs to be queued. so files that got something changed in the tag, for instance. do you have 'resinc if date modified has changed' enabled? could it be that itunes does something to tricker this..

:)
gab

shAf

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:05:14 pm »

... do you have 'resinc if date modified has changed' enabled? could it be that itunes does something to tricker this..

I didn't believe that it would be necessary re-sync any file that had been changed in any way, so that option is disabled.  Also, I haven't yet gotten as far as bringing these files into iTunes ... I'm still trying to figure out MC's "sync to folder" options, and why it's not working for me.

Thank you for letting me know that it should work ... it at least encourages me to try something different (... altho I'm still not sure what to try ...)

I would like to figure this out for other applications as well -- eg, sync'ing files to a folder suitable for writing MP3s to CD for my wife's car player, etc, etc.  I keep waiting for JRiver to step in and tell me "That's not what 'sync to device' is for!  Here's a better method."

gappie

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:31:48 pm »

im guessing that in some cases the forum is jriver. one of the developers might step in, but they are not always the ones who know all the ways the program can be used.

first.. for burning an mp3 cd, you could just send it to the burner in mc, and say to convert it to mp3..  :)
but i guess there could be more ways.

about the sync folder. i also have that option disabled, was just a thought that came to mind, and itunes is not the only candidate in that case  8). for a test you could ofcource start the sync with a few files first, say 10 (you could make a new sync folder for that only), to see where it gets. you sync from a smart/playlist? does it happen also when you sinc those files without converting, when it happens to mp3, does it also happen when converting to wav..

gab

shAf

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:54:56 am »

Thanx Gab  :)

I still haven't remedied my "sync to HD folder" problem .. I still see inconsistent behavior with respect to the files that are actually written to the folder intended to work with iTunes (see previous).  However, what has been consistent is MC15 doing the same thing, but instead of a HD, it's sync'ing with a USB flash drive instead.  So ... I've resorted to dedicating a 16Gb USB flash drive to the task.

If JRiver wants to jump in here and let me know how to troubleshoot this for a remedy, or let me know what other types of info or behavior they want to know of, then I'd be pleased to provide it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up