INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Command line to add current playing track to a playlist  (Read 1734 times)

Simmonds

• Recent member
Command line to add current playing track to a playlist
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »

Hello everyone

I have looked at the list of command lines http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line

As i am looking for a way to add the current playing track to a playlist. This is whilst im away from the pc. I have recently come across an App for my Android phone 'Multiremote' that can send shortcut keys via my wifi. Currently this works fine to start Media Center, play/pause, next, previous.

Using this app i want to be able to add the track to a playlist eg, like or dislike.

If this is possible than i can add the command line syntax in a batch (.bat) file and then associate that .bat to a shortcut key combination.

I wonder if anyone can help???

Many thanks

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Command line to add current playing track to a playlist
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:29:38 pm »

You could easily change rating stars this way but I don't see any way to add to a specific playlist either by command line switch nor by the MCC Core commands.

Simmonds

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:43:22 pm »

Many thanks for the reply. What a great shame. This function would greatly increase my usage of MC and integrate it into my music playing, car and at work.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:06:06 pm »

I personally use the star ratings and then have dynamic smartlists that automatically include songs based on that rating.  Messing around with manually adding songs to static playlists is so 1980s.  Smartlists are where it's at.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »

I personally use the star ratings and then have dynamic smartlists that automatically include songs based on that rating.  Messing around with manually adding songs to static playlists is so 1980s.  Smartlists are where it's at.

Same here.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Simmonds

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:35:19 pm »

Yes I understand how you use the ratings. Though there is only 5 stars and so i would only be able to place a track in one of five groups. I often like a track to be in more than one playlist. I currently use the rating system to do exactly that to rate how much i like a track. If i used the rating system as you both encourage i would straight away loose 2 ratings. eg 1= dont like & 2= ok but not something i would listen to often.

MMMmmm ok you would say not giving a track any rating would/should mean dont like.

Is static playlists 'so' 1980's??

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:56 pm »

How you're doing ratings is fine. What has been suggested is that you use dynamic smartlists rather than static playlists. Playlists have the be maintained—apparently the reason for your original question. Once created, smartlists maintain themselves. They can include any criteria you like (genre, style, last played, etc. with specified limits, mixes, etc.). Rating will often be one of those criteria.

So, for example, your smartlists might exclude tracks rated 1, limit those rated 2, favour those rated 5 but limit those played recently and/or many times. If you "dislike" what you're hearing, change the rating to 1—and it will be excluded from all your smartlists. If you "like" what you're hearing (more than is suggested by the current rating), bump the rating—and it will automatically occur more often in all your smartlists. 8)

Search the forum for "smartlist." You'll find lots of interesting suggestions.

Welcome to the new millennium. ;)

Simmonds

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

Many thanks

I will look again for 'smartlist' suggestions. May I ask based on what has been said. How would you do this...

Baring in mind i would like to do this via my smartphone. Im listening to a track being played on mc. I fancy adding this track to my 'listen at work' playlist. I listen to another track but i want to add this to 'listen at work' and 'listen in the car' playlist.

Would you associate these two choices/playlists a rating value?

Simmonds

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:44:13 pm »

By accident I thought i had answered my original question.

ALT T
S

the Playlist option is there but as a keypress this changes depending what the last selection was.

Ive found that you can send keystrokes to MC. Ok the example says ver 14 but i would have tried to see if it worked in ver 15. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MCC_KEYSTROKE
Pages: [1]   Go Up