INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is multi zone playback in the works?  (Read 502 times)

Mastiff

Is multi zone playback in the works?
« on: June 19, 2002, 01:17:14 am »

I remember some weeks back you guys (perhaps Jim?) participated in a discussion at the AVS Forum about multi zone playback via several adressable soundcards. Have you given this any more thought, perhaps for version 9 or as a plugin?

Tor

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Is multi zone playback in the works?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 05:29:51 am »

Hi Tor,
We're still thinking about it.  It isn't trivial, and I'm not sure there are enough people who want it to justify the work it would take.

The AVSForum has a lot of bright people, but it seems they don't often agree on what they want.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Mastiff

RE:Is multi zone playback in the works?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 06:02:44 am »

Good point. But the basic features should be easy to agree on: The ability to play a song on one of maybe four soundcards, or the same song on all of them (if you want to play it on two or three of them you can always start the playlist/song from each place). The control would be simple, just use Girder with different remote codes for play, stop, pause, next and previous song and possibly seek. The way I do it now is to use the free version MJB (that might very soon be upgraded to the pro version, I want the DSP's back!) for my living room and two to three different instances of Winamp for the other zones.

Actually I'd be satisfied with the ability to install MJB several times in different direcotries on the same computer, with different settings in the sound card department. This is easy in Winamp, the problem is that the sound card settings dosen't always stick! Is installing MJB more than once something that can be acheived with a trick, or is this impossible?

Tor
Pages: [1]   Go Up