INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with automatically sync  (Read 2987 times)

axelphi

• Recent member
Problem with automatically sync
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:34 am »

Hi,

I've a J River Media Center 15 licence and i'm very happy to buy it. But recently i got a problem with Library server.
I'm sharing my library from a computer with media server running. I'm launching J River from another computer to play music of th Media server. It works fine, but when i'm closing J River from the reading computer, when it tries to sync changes made by client it crashes and no change is done.
The option "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server on shutdown" is activated on both computer.

Why it's not working ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor english.

Best regards.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem with automatically sync
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:58:49 am »

I've a J River Media Center 15 licence and i'm very happy to buy it. But recently i got a problem with Library server.
I'm sharing my library from a computer with media server running. I'm launching J River from another computer to play music of th Media server. It works fine, but when i'm closing J River from the reading computer, when it tries to sync changes made by client it crashes and no change is done.
The option "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server on shutdown" is activated on both computer.
That option is only needed on the client side. 

Make sure both sides run exactly the same build.  15.0.125, for example.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:02:29 am »

Thanks for your quick response.
I've only check option for the client to test but it's not working. The two soft are in version 15.0.125.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:20:37 am »

Is there another client that has connected to the same server?

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:22:38 am »

No only one client.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

No idea about the problem ? It seems that it's crashing especially when i'm editing tags.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:01:32 pm »

A bad DirectShow filter?

No access to the drive?

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »

No probleme with access to the drive. How can i see if there is a problem with directshow filter ?

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 04:50:45 am »

No idea ? I think i have to reinstall windows on my server computer.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:41:14 am »

After a new windows installation the problem is not solved. Sometimes it works but 90% of the time it's crashing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:22 am »

If the network connection isn't completely reliable, MC will fail.

It's possible that the network card goes to sleep on the server after a period of inactivity.  Try to see if it's related to how long it has been since the last read or write on the server.

It's worth taking a look at the "Weird Problems" link in my signature.  Also try a Google search for similar problems.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 07:41:13 am »

It seems working nice since v 15.0.130. Thanks for your help.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:43:41 pm »

I'm sorry but i got a new problem with media server.
Everything working fine with 15.0.130 but i just updated to 15.0.142 and there is a new problem very similar.
River Media Center crashes when "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server on shutdown" is activated ( about 2 minutes after opening) but when it's desactivated there is no crash.
Manual sync working fine.
It's crashing even if i'm not listening music.

Thank you for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:05 pm »

Make sure you have the same build on each side.  MC15.0.142.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 03:53:32 pm »

I'm sure i've updated the two computers in the same time. Furthermore i can listen music of my library server.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »

Have you enabled Authentication on the Server machine?  You have to do this for the Automatic sync to work, and it doesn't tell you to do this.  It didn't crash for me when I was having issues with this, but it didn't save the changes, so maybe you're seeing something similar.

On the Server machine, go to Tools -> Options -> Media Network.  Then, under Library Server, scroll down and open the Advanced Server Settings section.  Check the Enable Authentication box, and configure a Username and Password.

Then, go to the Client Machine and try to open the Library.  It will ask you for the Username and Password.  It only asks this once.  After that, it should work for you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 12:57:23 pm »

It's always done and i've enter username and password. I can listening music from my server without problem but it just crashes when "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server on shutdown" is activated. When I was in 15.0.130 it worked fine with this option.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 01:20:35 pm »

I can listening music from my server without problem but it just crashes when "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server on shutdown" is activated. When I was in 15.0.130 it worked fine with this option.

The Automatic sync feature was changed significantly in build 15.0.137:

15.0.137 (10/21/2010)

1. NEW: 'Sync Changes with Library Server' no longer requires a reload of the client library when the server changes.
2. NEW: Library Server clients can automatically (and silently) stay synchronized with the server (Options > Media Network > Library Server Client > Automatically sync changes made on client back to server)

I just discovered something that might be related...

I can reproduce this if the username or password is INCORRECT on the client end.  In this case, the files do all play just fine.  But when you try to send changes to the server, MC crashes.  It doesn't prompt you for a new password, the tag changes aren't saved, but everything appears to work correctly while you are connected (files play fine and everything), but MC often crashes while trying to save changes.

In fact, now that I've done this, I've been unable to fix it.  Even if I delete the remote library out of the Library Manager on the Client computer, it WILL NOT PROMPT me to re-enter the username/password.  It just keeps using the wrong information and keeps crashing.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 01:30:52 pm »

I just discovered something that might be related...

I can reproduce this if the username or password is INCORRECT on the client end. 

Maybe it isn't so simple.  I just deleted the library, deleted the registry key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 15\Internet Authorization which apparently saves the Username/Password combo.

I then re-added the remote library and connected to it.  It prompted for the username and password.  I entered it correctly, and then MC immediately crashed.  I brought up a dialog that had the Title bar reading "Error loading library" but the dialog itself was empty and see-through, and the application immediately crashed.  Windows wasn't able to shut it down properly though, and I had to manually kill JRService.exe in Process Explorer to get it to close (the Media Center 15.exe process had closed, but JRService.exe was still running).

After this, if I re-open MC, it seems to work correctly.

I've reproduced this twice now.

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 01:31:52 pm »

It's not the same problem. When I manually sync my library (File>Library>Sync Changes With Library Server) changes are made. It crashes only when I use the Auto Sync option. I don't understand where is the matter, there is no problem with my connection, the server works fine etc..

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 01:33:42 pm »

It's always done and i've enter username and password. I can listening music from my server without problem but it just crashes when "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server on shutdown" is activated.

Are you able to manually sync?  While you are up and running on the Library Client, make some sort of tagging change, then go to File -> Library -> Sync Changes with Library Server.  Do you get any error?  Does it say it succeeded?  If it says it worked, did the tag changes actually "stick"?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:59 pm »

When I manually sync my library (File>Library>Sync Changes With Library Server) changes are made.

Ahh.... That's good info.  I'm not sure what is going on for you then.  Sounds like you may need to submit some logs to the developers.  Make sure Logging is enabled.  Go to Help -> Logging, enable output to a log file, and then check all of the Event types.

Post back when you have some logs to send showing the crash.  I'm sure one of the JRiver people will want to see them.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 01:47:07 pm »

I can reproduce this if the username or password is INCORRECT on the client end.

How are you connecting with an incorrect username and password?

I can't connect to the library without the proper credentials.

If the username and password are changed _while_ a client is running, it should act about the same as if the server were shutdown.

Thanks for any additional details.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

axelphi

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:38 pm »

I'm sorry but it seems working. I wanted to rebuild the problem to post the log file but no crash...I've only touch to the log options...
Normally it crashes after 2 mn but nothing since 6 mn...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »

How are you connecting with an incorrect username and password?

I can't connect to the library without the proper credentials.

Sorry.  I didn't properly explain myself in my follow up post.  I was wrong.  The username and password WERE correct.  But I can reproduce the crash.

If I:

1. Go to File -> Library -> Load Library -> Library Manager.
2. Click the Add button
3. Type some name in the name field
4. Type the remote address in the Location field (I can provide my server address:port if you want to try with mine)
5. Click OK.
6. Double Click on this new entry in the Library Manager
7. It does the Connecting to Server for a bit.  Then a error dialog that I can't read comes up and MC crashes.  Sometimes it will display the Username/Password dialog before it crashes, and sometimes it crashes before even trying to display it.

Either way, once I manage to close MC and restart it, then it works fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 03:54:54 pm »

Hmmm.... I think it is possible that somehow I crashed my Library Server at home while testing this.  I can't get to it from anywhere successfully right now.  So, ignore what I've said about this specific issue for now...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 05:55:11 pm »

Hmmm.... I think it is possible that somehow I crashed my Library Server at home while testing this.  I can't get to it from anywhere successfully right now.  So, ignore what I've said about this specific issue for now...

Confirmed.  Handbrake crashed the PC.  The Library Server was initially still running (despite the computer being totally messed up), which is why it let me connect that first couple of times, but eventually all of those processes died too.

Rebooting the server put things back to normal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up