INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone Apps / Rivermote  (Read 1687 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
iPhone Apps / Rivermote
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

Before I drop $10 I was hoping someone could clarify how the Rivermote works, and if there are any other options out there.

Being able to search through my library is of utmost importance.  Can Rivermote not do this?

How are other controlling things remotely?

Thanks all!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Sheugel

• World Citizen
Re: iPhone Apps / Rivermote
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:57:13 pm »

Hi,

I personally use xpTunes: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402.0
It's the most powerful solution. It's able to search through your library, what I think RiverMote can't do. You can also interact with EventGhost. It can be configured personally by tweaking the html files.
The only weak point is that it's not a native iphone app, it uses Safari (in fullscreen if you add it to homescreen). I had to use a third party fullscreen browser to be able to fast switch between apps.
I suggest you try it, there's a free demo.

Sheugel

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »

I just use the built-in WebRemote.  It works great and it requires nothing extra.

I bought Rivermote and used it for a while.  It works, but it is a bit "fiddly".  You need to always launch MC via the Rivermote Server EXE, rather than directly, or Rivermote is unable to control MC.  This was it's biggest failing to me, but it is also quite ugly.

Like the most terrible of terrible Consumer Electronics remotes...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sunfire7

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:34:00 am »

plugplayer is a great native iphone-app for remote, you can browse your library and it can control and render not only MC but other dnla devices too, give it a try!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »

Thanks all!!!

I do have PlugPlayer installed on my iPhone.  But in the past when I browsed an artist it listed every album intermixed with every track.  It makes finding things difficult.  Does this behave the same with MC15?

Also, regarding the webremote, does it allow full browsing of the full media library?  Does anyone have screenshots from an iPhone?

Thanks again!
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:07:32 pm »

I must admit, PlugPlayer is very nice.  Working well for my needs.

If Bob (Admin) can successfully get controller generated playlists working, I would venture to say it is absolutely perfect.

I did try all of the other reasonable methods, xptunes, rivermote, and webremote.  None are better than simply using a mouse and keyboard with my HDTV as display.  I cant STAND having to use a controller with "pages" rather than "jump-to" buttons.

The nested structure I didn't get when I used PlugPlayer with Foobar is not happening now with MC.  With Foobar when I clicked on an artist I was shown every track along with every album.  Now with MC I just see just the individual albums inside the artist.  Then the tracks inside each album.  Perfect.

One downside is that search can be a little buggy and sometimes crashes PP.

Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up