INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record from External Device  (Read 3028 times)

stuartallan

Record from External Device
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:36:40 am »

Hello
I am trying to put tracks from CD's into Media Center 15. These I play on an external CD Player using a digital connection to my Optical-In on the computer sound-card. So far I am unable to persuade MC15 to locate this external player, I can monitor the tracks and also redirect them back out of the sound-card.
Any help will be most welcome.
Cheers
Stuart.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Record from External Device
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:56:45 am »

Welcome to the forum.

I assume you're using the Rip feature in MC and creating files on your PC in APE or FLAC or some other format.

After that, it's just choosing the right sound device in your PC.  Go to Tools/Options/Audio to do that.

Here's an article on our wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

stuartallan

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:01:35 pm »

Hi JimH

Thank you for your very quick reply, unfortunately I am still nonplussed. Rereading my question I realize I was not clear enough, I can monitor input from the external player but only in sound and from the outputs on the soundcard, I am unable to see anything on screen from within Media Center Program or indeed anywhere within the computer, so no, no Rip!

Although as you can guess and are correct, you are not helping an expert, far from it, I have previously managed to Rip a good number of CD's onto my HDD and more recently onto SSD using the computers built-in CD-Rom drive, even converting flac files back to WAV for a little player that uses SD memory in WAV format, but no matter how deep I fumble and perspire this has me beat! I cannot find the external player?

Cheers again
Stuart.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 02:03:50 pm »

If your CD player doesn't show up as a Windows drive, you cannot rip from it.  However, ripping from a PC drive is just as good.  It will be perfect if you use MC's "secure rip" option.

stuartallan

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:10 pm »

Hi JimH

Okay, understood, many thanks for your time.

Regard
Stuart.

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »

Further: the optical input is an audio input, not a ripping source.

If you are trying to use the optical input, you will have to capture the audio as a WAV file with something like Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Once you have captured it, you can use MC or MJ to convert formats if necessary (FLAC, MP3, etc).
==
roognation
human electrode
Pages: [1]   Go Up