INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to a Handheld with a Library Server Client  (Read 1649 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Syncing to a Handheld with a Library Server Client
« on: October 24, 2010, 11:57:13 am »

Now that I have MC setup to work with a Library Server and clients, I've noticed a difference when syncing to my "handhelds".  The sync seems decidedly LONGER.

To explain... I have a "generic handheld" setup on my HTPC, configured to sync to this folder on the local drive: C:\library_data\handhelds\ed_iTunes\.  I then sync the contents of this folder over to my laptop using SyncBack.  I set it up this way because SyncBack handles the network file-copy over my wifi network quickly and reliably (and it can check the copies to make sure they copied properly).  Plus, SyncBack can be configured to run a BAT file after completion, which allows me to have it run the iTunes sync script to get everything copied over into my laptop's copy of iTunes.  Doing it this way, I sacrifice 20-30 GB of space on my HTPC's C drive, but disks are cheap.

I setup the "handheld" on my HTPC rather than the Library Server machine itself because the HTPC is in the living room and that's where I am generally when I need to sync over to my laptop.  Makes it easy.  This has always worked well, if not ideally.

However, now that I'm using the HTPC setup as a Library Server client, I noticed that the behavior of the handheld sync in MC is different.  when the files copy over, they list "downloading" instead of just "uploading" like before.  The sync also seems to be taking quite a bit longer (or at least, the estimation seems to be longer).  I used to be able to do a full sync to this local folder in 15-30 minutes, depending on the number of changes and whatnot.  Now, when connected to the Library Server, it is listing around 1 hour as the estimated time remaining.  It seems to be actually copying each file much slower too.

I'd guess this is something to do with MC being able to sync across the Internet (or otherwise copying files over that aren't directly accessible).  Probably MC is actually passing all of the files through the Library Server process, rather than the Client just copying them directly from disk.  Since ALL of my files are directly accessible via a mounted network share, and that option is enabled in MC's options, this isn't needed, and it is just slowing the process down.

Am I reading the situation correctly?  If so, and the client-side has the "Play local file if one that matches" option enabled, wouldn't it also make sense to use this same logic when syncing to a handheld?

PS. That really brings up another point...If MC could be configured to run an application after completing a sync, then I would probably just set the "handheld" up on the laptop itself and sync over to the laptop that way.  That would be awesome, and would probably allow me to even re-sync my "handheld" when I was away from home via the Internet if I was on a fast connection.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: Syncing to a Handheld with a Library Server Client
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »

I think you are correct, the library server does all the conversion/stack building etc and then passes the files to the client so in theory you can sync your handheld remotely no matter where you are or how you're connected to the server.

But I agree, if the client is local and can access the files/cache directly then I'd prefer it used it directly.  I guess the only issue with this is the client will have to convert files not in the cacahe and add them and then sync the changes back to the server rather than the server doing it all.

Richard

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Syncing to a Handheld with a Library Server Client
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:46:07 pm »

I'm having a completely different problem with handheld syncing on a client:

It's showing duplicates on my player, although there is only one copy. If I have it set to automatically delete files not in the sync list, it will delete all of the files on my player! It doesn't even re-add them, either. Si I'll do a sync and realize when I'm on the go that I only have one or two files on my player....

This isn't a problem if I sync locally.

It's a problem with multiple handhelds, as well. The above grab is from a Clip+, the following a Sony NWZ-S639F. I've tried MSC and MTP modes to no avail.

Pages: [1]   Go Up