INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to import an exact copy of my actual database (audio)  (Read 1588 times)

kevced

• Recent member
how to import an exact copy of my actual database (audio)
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »

First of all, I apologize for my English!

For the last 6 months, I ripped all my CDs (thousands) with Windows Media Player and I have the results on two hard drives.

I plan to buy the player and I downloaded the demo last week-end but I have some majors issues with the results.

- The first tracks are missing on hundred of CDs. The tracks listing begins with 2,3,4,5...In fact, all these first tracks are usually alone on multiple Album listed as "unknown album" by "unknown artist". In some case, the tracks are split on 4 or 5 different albums! I think that the problem may come from the original "ripping". Many modifications were required at that time and I know that WMP went on the web to retrieve the info and the results from the web were may be available when the process of ripping were now at the second track.

- In many cases, the info is wrong or not logical. Exemple, with JRiver, I have a file for Abbey Lincoln albums. Within this file I see 2 CDs from a Sonny Rollins box-set where Abbey Lincoln performed. All albums from the box set should be listed under Sonny Rollins...

So I have hundred of errors and I am not sure that I am willing to spend hours and hours to correct them. Could you tell me if it is possible to set the player toward my hard drives with the very exact information (album, artist, tracks listing) actually available from my drive? (and not from the original ripping or from any database). If, so, give me the detailled procedure and settings.

If not possible and I decide to correct my library...Can I correct the data the first 3 weeks of the trial and then buy the player on the fourth week or will I  have to recorrect the data with the definitive version of your player?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: how to import an exact copy of my actual database (audio)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:54 pm »

First, welcome to Interact.

Please make sure you're testing the latest build, 15.0.142 (available from the top of this board).

Next, what format (MP3, WMA, WAV, etc.) did you rip with in WMP?  Most formats contain tags that Media Center (and other programs) can read for metadata.  Are you sure the missing files on disk?

If you don't have tags, you can use the tool 'Fill Properties From Filename' inside Media Center to get information from the filenames.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kevced

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:25:51 pm »

Hi, thank you for the quick answer.

It was ripped in WAV. In fact, there are no missing files. The problem is that all the (missing) files (tracks) are not properly located (not attached to the relevant album).  I will check the tool "Fill Properties From Filename" tonight but I don't see how it will resolve the issue.

Kevced

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:27 pm »

I do not believe that WMP can tag WAV files.  Media Center can, but it doesn't help you get out of your current predicament.

You will have to build metadata from filenames, or figure out a way to export information from WMP.

In the future, you might consider a lossless format or at least using a ripper that can properly tag WAV files:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Lossless_Compression
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:14:06 pm »

If you don't have tags, you can use the tool 'Fill Properties From Filename' inside Media Center to get information from the filenames.

Thank you Matt. 

The complete path is Tools > Library Tools > Fill Properties From File Name

kevced

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:15:29 am »

Thank you Matt, one last question (2 in fact). If I correct the names of the files, artists and albums via the trial version on the first 2-3 weeks, what will happen with these modifications if I buy the player after 3 weeks?

When I open the player, it seems that I have to re-install the player and sign-off the agreement each time. Normal?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:56:58 am »

Thank you Matt, one last question (2 in fact). If I correct the names of the files, artists and albums via the trial version on the first 2-3 weeks, what will happen with these modifications if I buy the player after 3 weeks?

A JRiver library will be supported forever.  v15 can load v8 (and maybe earlier) libraries.

You will never lose data, unless your hardware fails.  For that, use the Library Backup feature.

When I open the player, it seems that I have to re-install the player and sign-off the agreement each time. Normal?

That's not normal.  Make sure you're running the installed program and not the installer.  Look for 'Media Center 15' in your start menu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up