INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: album art problem  (Read 8238 times)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
album art problem
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:20:03 am »

::) ::) ::)
i have the same artwork for all tracks in the album - verified with mp3 tag
media center is giving me the message <various internal images> in the tagging pane
any suggestions would be useful
thanks

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: album art problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:32 am »

I noticed this behaviour too.
Have the feeling it is introduced in 15.0.142
Selecting an entire album and paste the cover art, so the same picture is sometimes reflected as Various

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:22 am »

;D
I think you are right - we await feedback

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:14:06 pm »

FWIW, this can be "fixed" by Remove cover art followed by Update library (from tags). I suppose that suggests it has something to do with the thumbnail data in the library, and not the actual images in the files. :-\

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:13 pm »

?
unfortunately no - still get same message

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:12 am »

:o :o
are you there jriver ??

will this be fixed ??

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:54:49 am »

bump  ::)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:10:12 am »

Try picking the files, then doing:
Right click > Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail

We decide if internal artwork matches by seeing if all the files use the same thumbnail.  If the thumbnails aren't built for all the files, the thumbnails won't match.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 11:10:17 pm »

;D
thanks matt
fixed it but have never seen this before
what am i now doing wrong or is it a change to media center?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:39:23 am »

;D
thanks matt
fixed it but have never seen this before
what am i now doing wrong or is it a change to media center?

i am still getting this problem
i should not have to do this each time i update album art should i ?
i have experimented adding artwork with itunes - did the job perfectly
still looking for suggestions

thanks

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:00:06 am »

::) ::)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 02:32:20 am »

media center is giving me the message <various internal images> in the tagging pane
thanks
this does not happen with MC 14.0.165 but still happening with 15.0.150

i am still wanting to establish why

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 09:31:06 am »

anyone? ;D ;D ;D

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:49 pm »

are you there JRiver ?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:49 am »

no one cares but i have reverted to mc14
perhaps i can get my money back for the broken mc15 ?

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:36 pm »

Try picking the files, then doing:
Right click > Cover Art > Rebuild Thumbnail

We decide if internal artwork matches by seeing if all the files use the same thumbnail.  If the thumbnails aren't built for all the files, the thumbnails won't match.

Shouldn't the thumbnails be rebuilt automatically if the covers are changed? It's frustrating having to rebuild them after any change. I assumed this was just a timing thing (i.e., they would be updated eventually in the background or while browsing), but it does seem that if the thumbnails are not rebuilt manually at the time of a change, they'll never be rebuilt automatically. That's difficult to fix, of course, because there's not easy way to find albums in this state.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 05:16:30 pm »

any suggestions would be useful...

It might help to understand what is going on if you could answer the following questions:

"In the tagging pane..." ??  Do you see this "message" in the "Image File" field in "Action Window > Tag"  or in the expanded "Image" window in "Action Window > Tag > Image" or in both places? (...or in some other place?)

What does the "Image File" field show when you select each album file individually? Is the field value exactly the same for all album files. What is it?  (In case you can't see the Image File field you can add it to AW > Tag or to a list view as a column).

What is the file format of the audio files?

Do you use embedded or external cover art? (I.e. if you add cover art with MC do you have the "Also store image in the file's tag" option enabled?)

Are you speaking about some old albums here and there or can you reproduce the problem with any new album? If you can reproduce the problem please give us step-by-step instructions for reproducing it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:33 pm »

It might help to understand what is going on if you could answer the following questions:

"In the tagging pane..." ??  Do you see this "message" in the "Image File" field in "Action Window > Tag"  or in the expanded "Image" window in "Action Window > Tag > Image" or in both places? (...or in some other place?)

What does the "Image File" field show when you select each album file individually? Is the field value exactly the same for all album files. What is it?  (In case you can't see the Image File field you can add it to AW > Tag or to a list view as a column).

What is the file format of the audio files?

Do you use embedded or external cover art? (I.e. if you add cover art with MC do you have the "Also store image in the file's tag" option enabled?)

Are you speaking about some old albums here and there or can you reproduce the problem with any new album? If you can reproduce the problem please give us step-by-step instructions for reproducing it.

yes to - in the expanded "Image" window in "Action Window > Tag > Image"
i have ditched mc15 & mc14 is pefect so cannot answer 2nd question
audio files all mp3
question 3 is embedded and yes to the also store etc.
this happened to every album from memory
rebuild thumbnail did fix it but i had to redo rebuild thumbnail every time i changed album art
this is only a recent mc15 problem and nothing else on computer has changed

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 11:02:53 pm »

are there simple alternative ways to verify where i need to upgrade/upsize album art by viewing album art dimensions whilst viewing music files.
i realise i can save album art to hard drive then add jpg files to media center then display by "dimensions" but that is incredibly awkward
maybe i need to live with the solution matt offered but i still ask what has changed and why?

rick.ca

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 01:15:01 am »

are there simple alternative ways to verify where i need to upgrade/upsize album art by viewing album art dimensions whilst viewing music files.

The best way I've found is by using the tag image display we've been talking about. That doesn't allow me to filter those needing replacing, but I need to see the image to decide what's needed anyway. I size the window so it will show my target 600 pixel size fully. It's then obvious when a cover is significantly smaller, and it's otherwise large enough to assess the quality. An image sized to 600 pixels isn't necessarily of good quality. A tooltip also indicates the size of the image file, which sometimes helps.

Although I can only check one album at a time, I can see instantly whether a replacement is necessary. I use a nested Artist\Album pane to select an album, then just press Down to move through them. This makes it easy to spot covers that might be okay on their own, but which should be upgraded to match the quality of other covers for the same artist. I've already replaced all the terrible covers. Now I'm looking for consistency and incremental improvements. I'm quite sure looking at dimension and file size numbers wouldn't help much.

The attached screen shot illustrates this. The existing cover is 500 pixels—obvious from the fact it's not filling the 600 pixel space provided. I'm not necessarily going to replace this because it's not 600 pixels, but I can see the quality is poor, and the tooltip confirms it's small file. So I find a replacement using a search link. Having the image display open makes it easy to find the right cover and see the difference in quality.

As I've mentioned, I see the same issue you do. After replacing the covers using Add from file, I have to do also Rebuild thumbnail and Refresh to see the replacement in the image display. If I don't do both and visually confirm the replacement before moving on to the next album, there seems to be a significant likelihood the thumbnails won't be fully updated. But now that I know the extra step is necessary, I don't consider it a big issue.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »

;D ;D
hello all at JRiver

any feedback ?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 10:57:21 pm »

still waiting
 :o

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 05:20:09 am »

bump

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 11:44:18 am »

thanks

still waiting
 ? ? ? ? ? ?

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:02 am »

installed 15.0.161
still broken ::)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 09:17:38 am »

? ? ?
fix coming ?

rick.ca

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »

You're bumping this as as if it's a high-priority issue that requires immediate attention. If that's the case, it's not at all clear from has been said here. Perhaps you need to clarify the urgency. Or be more patient. ;)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 05:32:07 pm »

I use only external cover art and I have never had a problem with thumbnails that would not update when I change the cover art link.

Before my previous post in this thread I did some testing with embedded cover art, but I really couldn't reproduce the problem. Possibly MC did not always update the thumbnails immediately, but at least when i browsed away from the view and back again MC build the new thumbnails. My "tagging view" is a list view that has the "Image File" and "Image (small icon)" columns next to each other so that I can easily see when the thumbnails are build and what is the image source.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 05:38:21 pm »

i realise i can save album art to hard drive then add jpg files to media center then display by "dimensions" but that is incredibly awkward

Mr ChriZ's "script to save cover art size" can import the cover art dimensions to custom "width" and "height" library fields. I have explained how the size can be displayed in a single calculated "kilopixel" field.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55211.msg375601#msg375601
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52606.msg358739#msg358739
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51556

rick.ca

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:01 pm »

Possibly MC did not always update the thumbnails immediately, but at least when i browsed away from the view and back again MC build the new thumbnails.

I've never seen that. No amount of switching selected files and views I've tried has resulted in a rebuilding of the thumbnails. Nor does restarting the program.

My "tagging view" is a list view that has the "Image File" and "Image (small icon)" columns next to each other so that I can easily see when the thumbnails are build and what is the image source.

This makes me wonder if you're looking at the same issue we are. The first screen shot is what I see before making any changes to an album's covers, and what I expect to see immediately after—if all the embedded covers are identical. The second screen shot illustrates the problem.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 10:59:32 pm »

You're bumping this as as if it's a high-priority issue that requires immediate attention. If that's the case, it's not at all clear from has been said here. Perhaps you need to clarify the urgency. Or be more patient. ;)

i raised this matter on 7 november
that is patience i think
i await feedback from JRiver as to what they have done to the product

rjm

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 11:40:42 pm »

mmm...
I noticed in some MC15 build quite a while ago that occasionally the add Cover Art/Paste from Clipboard function must be executed twice for the new cover art to "take". I never reported the problem because I don't use that feature very often and because it's easy to do twice. I wonder if this is related to the above issue?

rick.ca

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 11:55:27 pm »

i raised this matter on 7 november

Urgency doesn't necessarily increase with time. I was sincere in my advice. If this really is urgent, you probably need to explain why.

i await feedback from JRiver as to what they have done to the product

They're pretty good about listing what they've done in the release topics posted at the top of this board. And Alex B provides a handy cumulative/searchable MC15 Change Log. But they don't always repeat that information in the topics in which the issues are discussed. You could use a Google Alert to report any occurrences "art OR thumbnail" in the Change Log. 8)

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 12:55:06 am »

this is simply an irritant- not a crisis
all i want is to be told what was done to MC15 and when as MC14 is ok

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »

:o
this is still broken & now i discover that album art not being transferred to ipod nano- something i had not done for quite a while

i suspect both will be ok with MC14

please advise
Pages: [1]   Go Up