INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to play TV recordings remotely via Library Server  (Read 2176 times)

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Unable to play TV recordings remotely via Library Server
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:22:42 am »

I'm not sure if this should work, but I'm hoping it should.

I'm wanting to be able to play videos, especially TV recordings (recorded by MC) remoely on an MC client via Library Server.

To test it I asked Nathan (aka jmone) to test playback from his place and this was what he's reported back to me....

1) JTV files play as JTV files are don't seem to get coverted.  Problem is the Audio plays fine and at normal speed but the Video is maybe one frame per 5 sec - no good

2) Tried to play a TS file - the "Slicies MPEG2 PAL 1080i" file but it just hangs my client

3) Played the "MPG MVC-076V" file OK (took a while to load) but without sound - I got a reclock error saying the format was not supported (on my desktop)

So let's start with what I am hoping is the easiest since it's native to MC... JTV playback remotely.
Should the library server be converting the files and sending them to the client based on the client video conversion settings?  I know Nathan had MPEG4 low bndwidth set, but it seems maybe it's not converting....

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Unable to play TV recordings remotely via Library Server
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:25:53 am »

From past testing of trying to stream JTV to a PS3 over DLNA I'm guessing the ffmpeg transcoding engine does not like JTV any better these days?!?

EDIT - tested again, still no got on JTV Transcoding --> PS3 Over DLNA
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:28:47 pm »

Should the library server be converting the files and sending them to the client based on the client video conversion settings?  

I can't get any video format to stream successfully to the client. I didn't think this was supported yet though. I just use the client setting to play direct from mapped or UNC paths. This would be my preference over a local network anyway.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

I can't get any video format to stream successfully to the client. I didn't think this was supported yet though. I just use the client setting to play direct from mapped or UNC paths. This would be my preference over a local network anyway.

I am not sure about clients across internet.  On a local network, most videos play fine, including jtv (even without "play local file" option).  Matt made a big improvement recently on jtv playback, especially seeking.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:54:29 pm »

THanks Yaobing.  I think what Richard was trying to do was to use the "Video Conversion --> MPEG4 low bandwidth stream" feature under the "Library Server Client Options" so that they could view TV Recordings away from home.  When I tried to do this the JTV file steamed (poorly as you would expect) not an MPEG4 "low bandwidth".  I presume this is because ffmpeg does not like JTV?
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:54 pm »

THanks Yaobing.  I think what Richard was trying to do was to use the "Video Conversion --> MPEG4 low bandwidth stream" feature under the "Library Server Client Options" so that they could view TV Recordings away from home.  When I tried to do this the JTV file steamed (poorly as you would expect) not an MPEG4 "low bandwidth".  I presume this is because ffmpeg does not like JTV?

Corrrect, while away I want to be able to watch TV recordings on my laptop that are being recorded back on my server.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:36:28 pm »

I've done some testing loaclly and I can confirm that JTV files ignore the client video conversion setting completely, so they are streamed at full bandwidth regardless.  Fine on a LAN but no use at all over a WAN.

I alo tried a couple of AVI files, with the cleint set to MNV, MPEG2 Low bandwidth and MPEG4 high bandwidth.  With all settings the client received the same video stream, FFDShow reported it at MJPEG. 30fps 15000bps.  it Also appeared that the cleint downloaded the full video before starting playback.

Maybe I'm setting an option incorrectly somewhere, I'm not sure, but it's certainly not doing what it appears to indicate it will do.

What I really need to be able to do is play JTV and maybe other formats to the MC cleint over a WAN with playback being steamed rather than just downloaded.  JTV did stream, but without it being reduced for lower bandwidth, it's unusable.

Richard

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:40 pm »

So one of three possibilities:
1) The Library Server Client "Video Conversion" option does not work at all
2) The Library Server Client "Video Conversion" option does not work for JTV, or
3) User Error  ;D !!

I think it is #1 and # 2 but I would not be surprsed in #3 is also present!
JRiver CEO Elect

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:33:08 pm »

So one of three possibilities:
1) The Library Server Client "Video Conversion" option does not work at all
2) The Library Server Client "Video Conversion" option does not work for JTV, or
3) User Error  ;D !!

I think it is #1 and # 2 but I would not be surprsed in #3 is also present!

I am assuming the "client" setting on the server are ignored as the server isn't running as a client and that the client requests the file conversion type when requesting the file... is this corrct Yaobing?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:02 am »

ffmpeg does not know jtv.  We do have a DirectShow converter, but I do not know whether and how it is used here.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

ffmpeg does not know jtv.  We do have a DirectShow converter, but I do not know whether and how it is used here.

I certainly hope it can be used for this, would be a shame if MC can't convert/stream its format but can for other formats.

I love some of the features of JTV files, like being able to watch a recording while it's still recording on any local MC client, but it would seem an major oversight if MC can't convert and stream its own format to DLNA devices like XBox and DLNA TVs. Without this TV recording within MC will be unusable for a lot of people using DLNA TV's and devices.

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up