INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tv tuner config problem  (Read 3477 times)

france

tv tuner config problem
« on: June 16, 2002, 07:23:01 am »

i love the jukebox, just upgraded to v 8 this morning - have a problem, tho, configuring the tv tuner capability.  when i click on 'scan for channels,' i get 'failed to play tv (unknown error), and image on screen is from my logitech webcam!  also, sound control gets muted when i open anything, and i must unclick, for some reason.

i have hauppauge pci wintv stereo tuner.  
system:  amd k6 2 cpu 500 mhz 316 mb ram.  

thanks for any help in advance.  f

Yaobing

RE:tv tuner config problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2002, 10:36:22 am »

When you did "Scan for Channels", were you presented a dialog window asking you to select a device? If not, try deleting this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\TV Settings
and then try scanning again. You should be presented with a selection of capture devices. Make sure you select Hauppauge device.

About the sound getting muted, yes, it happens when TV fails. I will try to fix that for future release. It will not happen if TV starts successfully.

france

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2002, 12:40:18 pm »

thanks for your prompt, clear reply.  however, i have no idea how to access HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\TV Settings

could you please describe how to get to this path?  i tried going by start, find, and found nothing.  is it in the mj program?

kinda a newbie, f

Yaobing

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 01:07:31 pm »

It is not in your regular file system. Instead it is part of the Windows Registry where program settings are stored. You use RegEdit.exe program to open and edit Windows Registry. Do not attempt to edit anything in the registry unless you know what you are doing. However, the registry key that I mentioned is safe to delete. Here is how:

Start->Run ...
and type regedit in the box to the right of the word "Open:" and then click OK.

"Registry Editor" opens. Click the |PLS| icon to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER;

then the |PLS| icon to the left of "Software";

then "JRiver";

then "Music Exchange"; then "1.0"; then "Media Jukebox".

Now under "Media Jukebox" click "TV Settings" USING YOUR RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and select "Delete" from the pop-up menu.

france

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2002, 01:47:45 pm »

that went just fine.  now i have a new problem:

i click add then i choose the hauppauge option, then i get a window that says: "you need to have hauppauge components on your computer to play tv using your mj."  it asks if i would like to automatically download and install, and naturally i say yes.  then i get package installer window and it shows the kbs downloading, and then, i get:

"failed to install package.  more info:  failed to register object. c:\windows\system\hcwwintv.ocx"

would you know how to get out of this predicament?

that is, if it's raining where you are and you've finished surfing the entire internet and have nothing better to do with your precious time, f

Yaobing

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2002, 02:09:06 pm »

First, let me explain what this file is. You are using Windows 98. Hauppauge does not have a WDM driver to work on Windows 98 or 95. So they use VfW driver. WDM (Windows Driver Model) is hardware independent and MJ uses it for TV whenever it is available. In your case WDM driver is not available and therefore we have to use some Hauppauge specific stuff. That is what this downloading and installing Hauppauge components are all about.

Please do the following:

Start->Run ...

Type 'regsvr32 C:\Windows\system©hsuite.ocx' (without the quote marks), and click OK. A dialog box will tell you whether it succeeds or not.

Do the same with 'regsvr32 C:\Windows\System\wtvcap.ocx'
and with 'regsvr32 C:\windows\system\hcwwintv.ocx'

If all three succeeds, you should be OK.

france

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2002, 02:17:25 pm »

second run succeeded - first and third failed (would you like messages?)

result:  tv tuner still failed to load package.

would i have better result if i downloaded wdm drivers from hauppauge site?

let me know if i'm driving you nuts, f

Yaobing

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2002, 02:56:02 pm »

According to Hauppauge wet site specification the WDM driver is only for Windows 98 SE or later OS's. If yours is Windows 98 SE, you should download WDM driver. Otherwise it probably will not work.

Please you see text messages while trying to register those files please do report them here. First thing to do though is to make sure those files are installed on your system by MJ's package installer. Search for ChSuite.ocx and hcwwintv.ocx in your Windows\system folder if you can not find them, try downloading again.

Yaobing

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2002, 02:57:22 pm »

According to Hauppauge wet site[\quote]
I meant "web site" of course.

ShowsOn

• StudentFilm, Music, Computers
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 08:13:17 am »

So is it a general fluke that I have managed to partially get my Lifeview Fly Video 3000 FM (www.lifeview.com.tw) card to work with the TV, considering it is not on the supported list?

It does have that problem where if I select CONFIGURE CAPTURE it crashes MJ8. Also I have realised that it is only using mono sound, where as the card is capable of stereo. Would it be possible to explain what all the TV related registry keys do so that I can see if changing any settings stops it from crashing? From the DR WATSON print out it seems it is crashing when it attempts to load video compressor codecs into memory... It is currently saving to some kind of AVI format, but I can't get it to capture sound... I can't changet his because I can't set up the capture settings else it causes a crash, maybe I could manually do so via the registry?

Any help appreciated.

Yaobing

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2002, 09:58:52 am »

So is it a general fluke that I have managed to partially get my Lifeview Fly Video 3000 FM (www.lifeview.com.tw) card to work with the TV

If your TV device uses WDM driver, it should work even if it is not on the supported list. If it does not work somehow, please post your problems. I will try to fix it.

DR WATSON print out it seems it is crashing when it attempts to load video compressor codecs into memory

This is valuable info, thanks. A few people have reported crash after clicking "Configure Capture" button. I can not produce it. With information from you, I will go back and look harder for bugs.

I can't get it to capture sound

I assume you can hear sound while playing TV, but just can not capture it to file. Try checking the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Music Exchange\1.0\Media Jukebox\TV Settings and change the value "Capture Audio?" to 1 if it is 0.

Other values you may want to look at:

Compressor and VideoCompressorDisplayName - try deleting them.

france

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2002, 10:22:29 am »

i'm at the office, so can't experiment right now, but i will probably be able to get you the error msgs. tonight.

you wrote: "Search for ChSuite.ocx and hcwwintv.ocx in your Windows\system folder if you can not find them, try downloading again."

on your earlier kind reply, you called first file [copyright symbol]hSuite.ocx (instead of ChSuite.ocx) - would you mind stating the correct letter?  maybe this has something to do with failure?

and do you mean downloading the v.8 of media jukebox again?  or just drivers?  (and how to do THAT?)

this is a learning experience for me, i really appreciate it.  f

Yaobing

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2002, 10:41:16 am »

The file name is ChSuite.ocx. It is a plain "C", not copyright symbol. Either I mistyped, or the web page misinterpreted "\C" part of the string.

I meant downloading the Hauppague OCX files. To download them, try playing TV from MJ. It should tell you that you need to download. Click OK (maybe Yes?) to download. This is the same process that you went through when you first tried. If MJ does not ask you to download, you need to unregister whatever you have registered by doing these:

Start->Run

Type 'regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\system©hsuite.ocx' (without quotes) and click OK. A dialog box will tell you unregistering is successful or not successful. The /u option in the command tell the regsvr32.exe program to un-register instead of register the file.

Repeat with 'regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\system\wtvcap.ocx' and 'regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\system\hcwwintv.ocx'.

After unregistering the files, run MJ again. It should tell you that you need to download Hauppauge components. Proceed with the download and hope it will work.

Yaobing

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2002, 10:45:11 am »

Here it goes again, the web page is misinterpreting my typed string.

Type 'regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\systemİhsuite.ocx' (without quotes) and click OK

It is the chsuite.ocx file in the C:\Windows\System folder.

france

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2002, 04:52:01 pm »

hi yaobing,

thanks for your continued help.

think i'm getting closer:  successfully registered first two ocx's - that is, chsuite.ocx and wtvcap.ocx.  

however, could not register nor unregister hcwwintv.ocx, even though i see it in windows/system file.

after i download hauppauge components, the message i get is:  failed to install package, failed to register object c:\windows\system\hcwwintv.ocx

then, after clicking okay, i get this message:  load library c:\windows\system\hcwwintv.ocx failed. getlasterror returns 0x00000485.

does that help?  f

Yaobing

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2002, 05:27:03 pm »

We are getting somewhere.

The message you got indicates that some needed file is missing from your computer. Possibly you do not have Visual Basic runtime files. Please try finding this file from your C:\Windows\System\ folder:
MSVBVM60.DLL

If you can not find this file, you do not have visual basic files installed.

france

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2002, 02:58:00 am »

i did a search on msvbvm60.dll, and could not find it on my c drive.

is it simply a question of downloading and installing this driver?

f

Yaobing

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2002, 06:38:51 am »

You may try searching Microsoft site and see if there is MS Visual Basic runtime download. We should have distributed it. Hold on, we could probably add it to the Hauppauge component package.

france

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2002, 05:29:13 pm »

thank you for saving me the trouble and including visual basic runtime in package.  it worked!  the tv looks very good.  very gratifying to get results this way.

thank you.

next problem:  when i try to play a dvd, i get the chapters listed in index, then a message:  (paraphrasing) "this dvd content is protected by macrovision.  this system does not satisfy macrovision requirement.  can't continue playing this disc."

(i have powerdvd software in my system and the dvds play with no problem.)

also, would be nice (though i know it doesn't) if mj played vcds.

it occured to me that if dvd (and subsequently vcd) worked, mediajukebox would be my home theater.  all for 25 bucks!  (sans hardware, but who cares)

it's wonderful that mj has such tremendous tech support, it's like being in on a great invention!

ta-da, f

Yaobing

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2002, 06:30:25 pm »

Glad it works for you now. We should have included the VB file in the package from the beginning.

As for DVD, JohnT is probably the person to answer it. If you do not see his posting here, you may want to try starting a new thread with the word DVD in the subject.
Pages: [1]   Go Up