INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CUE files are not fully supported  (Read 1842 times)

dedok

• Recent member
CUE files are not fully supported
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:25:02 am »

I have one big .wav file and one .cue. When I play this cue file JRiver correctly shows all tracks and starts playing first one. When I click on next button it displays that it plays the next track but I hear the first one. When I click next button again, it starts to play the first one again but tries to convince me that it's actually third. Very sad.
JRiver is potentially good product but it's too buggy so far to pay for it.  :'(

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: CUE files are not fully supported
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:27:14 am »

Cue playback works correctly with the internal playback engine.

Are you trying to use the DLNA connection to your PS Audio PerfectWave DAC? AFAIK, the DLNA standard does not support parsing playback ranges from cue sheets. If you are using DLNA, probably only the link to the main audio file is transmitted. Conversion to PCM might work. You can enable it in MC's DLNA server settings (Encoder: Uncompressed stream, with or without L16).

Since you have a cue sheet I assume it is a ripped CD. You could convert it to individual wave (or lossless) track files. MC can store file tags also in wave files if "wave tagging" is enabled in Tools > Plug-Ins > Input > WAVE & AIFF Plugin > Configure > Write Tags...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:45 pm »

Thank you, Alex. Yes, this is about DLNA only.
I have also some albums ripped as bunch of FLACs, and I can't play them gapless (my other thread on this forum). So, breaking my big FLACs apart wouldn't be beneficial (not saying about time I'd need to spend doing that). Conversion to PCM also seems like a compromise I'd like to avoid. So, there are two options left: tagging as you suggested or switching to direct USB mode. If I switch to direct USB mode, I can't use MC because my music is stored on Synology 209+II NAS which is Linux box with USB port. So, the only remaining option is tagging. I'll try it over week-end.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:28:37 pm »

I suspect that the gapless problem will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update for your bridge device.  It is difficult to find actual change logs on their forum over there, but my guess would be that they added some of those additional features, but not the gapless playback quite yet.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:56:06 pm »

So, breaking my big FLACs apart wouldn't be beneficial...

I am a bit confused. Do you have "Wave + cue" or "FLAC + cue" files? Though probably that doesn't matter in this case because DLNA doesn't support cue sheets.

Conversion to PCM also seems like a compromise I'd like to avoid.

It would not compromise audio quality. It would just present the same PCM audio data as separate track files (assuming it would work). However, it would not resolve your "gap problem".

So, there are two options left: tagging as you suggested or switching to direct USB mode. If I switch to direct USB mode, I can't use MC because my music is stored on Synology 209+II NAS which is Linux box with USB port. So, the only remaining option is tagging. I'll try it over week-end.

Tagging the Wave or FLAC files would provide only metadata that you can see in applications. It would not resolve your playback problems.

The best solution would be use to use playback engine in MC (i.e. use the PC as the player) and forget the suboptimal DLNA system. You could connect the external DAC through USB, AES/EBU or S/PDIF (whichever works best with your DAC).

USB shouldn't be a problem if the DAC is connected to a USB connector on the PC. The USB connector on the NAS is irrelevant. MC would get the files from your NAS through LAN and play them to your DAC.

Edit: edited a bit...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »

I suspect that the gapless problem will be fixed in an upcoming firmware update for your bridge device.  It is difficult to find actual change logs on their forum over there, but my guess would be that they added some of those additional features, but not the gapless playback quite yet.

Since the PS Audio PerfectWave device in the DNLA mode decodes the files they will need to implement a system that can prebuffer the next file and combine the currently playing and the next (decoded) file seamlessly on the track boundary. This has worked nicely in MC's playback engine for years, but implementing the feature on a standalone player that has less computing abilities might not be exactly easy.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »

I have both WAV and FLAC cases - results are the same. They both play but first track only. Other folks on PS Audio forum also complain that PW DAC can't play gapless in DLNA mode and can't support cue sheets so far. Perhaps new firmware will bring this support.
Also as of decoding in MC: with all due respect I'm pretty sure that PW DAC's Wolfson processor can do this job better.  ;) This is why I try it in DLNA mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up