INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4-bay NAS, tiny device  (Read 1911 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
4-bay NAS, tiny device
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:11 am »

<subtlehint>

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS409slim/index.php
4-bay NAS, tiny device, low power consumption, probably the best home NAS OS there is, oodles of networking and server stuff built-in (web server, mail server, IP camera interface...) as well as all forms of RAID and hybrid RAID which handles volume expansion easily while maximising space with multiple disks of different sizes, much more capable than WHS.

Built-in DLNA server that works but is a bit naff as its customisation options are basically non-existent - can only index music by genre/track artist/album/title/date/folder.  Photo and video indexing is only by date and folder.  Also runs Squeeze Server and I believe Twonky as well, but these are much more complex to set up than JRiver MC and nowhere near as flexible.

Imagine loading it with SSDs...

Lovely little home server device that could just sit there, silent, consuming little power, serving your content directory as you want it catalogued, across your entire network transparently to renderers and controllers.

Sticking point.  It's Linux!

</subtlehint>

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: 4-bay NAS, tiny device
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 12:30:12 pm »

I could say the same for unRAID - an even more cost-effective implementation of network storage. It would be a dream solution to have MC natively running on my unraid server.

csimon

Re: 4-bay NAS, tiny device
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:17:58 am »

Please note that this topic has been split off from its original thread and moved to another forum where it's now out of context.

I'm not extolling the virtues particularly of this NAS unit, it was in the thread about the possibilities of a server component of MC being split off from the main program to run on WHS and Linux, and I was trying to demonstrate how useful it would be to have the server components running on a NAS box like this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up