INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center un-registered itself - suddenly says my "trial period has expired."  (Read 1147 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Media Center 15, which I registered a long time ago and has been working just fine, suddenly told me tonight that my "trial period has expired" when I tried to start it.  I happen to have MC 13, 14, and 15 on this system (I've had this system for a while, and never bothered to uninstall old versions), and they're ALL giving me this message when I try to start them.

What happened?  Why would MC suddenly see all my installs as "trial versions"?  I assume that I could re-register them, but I shouldn't have to do this after I already registered them, and if this keeps happening, I'll be using up my allotted registrations.  I don't think I'd run out (assuming you still get 10 per year), but I often do several installs on a new system before finally settling, and I have 4 systems, so this could theoretically end up being an issue if I don't know what's causing it.

The only thing that has changed on my system lately is that I changed my password (but NOT my username.)  Could this have caused MC to "unregister" itself?  Nothing else has changed -- I haven't even installed any new software lately.

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Is your system date correct?

Did your system name change?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team

Is your system date correct?

Did your system name change?

Jim,

Thanks for responding so fast -- you figured it out.  The system date (and time) is correct, but it turns out I DID change the system name on this system.  I had forgotten about that until you asked.  I'm in the process of switching out this system, and I wanted to keep the same name on the new system, so I changed the name on the current one first (so I wouldn't have two systems with the same name on the network.)

So changing the system name changes the MC license -- I'll make sure to remember that for the next time.

Thanks for solving the mystery so quickly.

Larry

PS.  On the subject of music, for anyone who's interested I just saw Roger Waters do "The Wall" in LA tonight and I can't recommend it highly enough.  This was easily the best concert I've ever seen (or heard.)  Fantastic performances, amazing stage show and effects, and it sounded incredible (much better than I expected for a large venue.)  The bass (low freq.) was simply astonishing -- it was downright seismic, and felt like it could really put the structural intensity of the building to the test.  A flat-out amazing show.  If you're even mildly a Pink Floyd fan, don't miss this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up