INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Ability to widen/size the Search Box (Upper Right)  (Read 1930 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

One thing that has always puzzled me about MC - with increased search functionality being top of mind lately (all those new search-centric changes to the tagging window) is why we get such a tiny (and fixed size) input field for search criteria. Kinda reminds of the early days of Firefox when you had to get about 4 add-ons just to allow some flexibility to the width of this field.

Any chance the J River crew could consider allowing the user to size the search field to make it bit wider? Or at least treat it with the same logic as that space waster of a Display panel that houses the spectrum analyzer etc? I am using a 22 inch wide screen here and when I maximize MC - the display panel gets like 15 inches of real estate while the search box gets a inch and half - no matter what size the UI is set to.

Cheers!

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: Ability to widen/size the Search Box (Upper Right)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

What are you typing in there that doesn't fit?

It's not quite what you're asking for, but you can put the search box into wizard mode if you want a large text editing popup.  Explore the little drop arrow on the search box.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »

That's not really my point but okay -anything larger than 10 characters seems to annoy me.

It's not quite what you're asking for, but you can put the search box into wizard mode if you want a large text editing popup.  Explore the little drop arrow on the search box.

I think I can possibly work with the keyboard shortcut (CTRL-W) to bring up that search wizard...however I really do not like the fact that the shortcut is not a command that's at the ready - unless your cursor is in the search field - what's the savings in a keyboard shortcut if I have to first use the mouse to make it happen?

Seems that if my cursor is not in the search field - CTRL-W wants to shut down MC?

Thoughts?

VP

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:21:00 pm »

Seems that if my cursor is not in the search field - CTRL-W wants to shut down MC?

Thanks! I thought it was just me—that I had messed-up shortcuts with my customizations or something. That has to be a bug. It makes no sense that one shortcut does two completely different things in the same program.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:37 pm »

It's not quite what you're asking for, but you can put the search box into wizard mode if you want a large text editing popup.  Explore the little drop arrow on the search box.
I'm in the same boat as Vocalpoint; it's never been an unworkable issue that the search box can't be any larger, but it is an irritation at the least.
For me, it's usually quick searches along the lines of "genre=rock r=>=3" and other fairly straight forward searches that quickly overflow the visible space. It's no problem if I just quickly type it in correctly. But I'm not the most accurate typist, so when I accidentally type "gerne=rock r=>=3" and get back no results I've got to either scroll around in the text box to try to find it in there or open up the wizard and see where I've messed up (I find the latter is quicker most of the time). Again, not a show stopping issue by any means, but its an irritation that pops up on a pretty regular basis.
-JB

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:50 pm »

In the past I browsed my collection using the tree.
Today most of the time I find a work by using the search box (must be a Google user)

How I search:
Type Beet
Select Beethoven from the pick list
The search field is populated with: Beethoven, Ludwig (1770 – 1827)
No, this won’t fit in.
Now narrow this search by e.g. typing string quartet
Etc.

Look at the size occupied by the tree view and by the search box I’m inclined to say that the search box is way to small.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »

I’m inclined to say that the search box is way to small.

That's my whole point...."search" is everything today (google and otherwise)- especially for us with large libraries - yet this field looks like a total afterthought - espeically when that middle panel - that I NEVER look at takes up 85% of the screen space...and then it autosizes itself to take even more when the app is maximized....

All I am suggesting is - some of us like type more than 10 chars in this field - we should be able to autosize it accordingly.

VP

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:27:05 am »

All I am suggesting is - some of us like type more than 10 chars in this field - we should be able to autosize it accordingly.

+1

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:29:41 pm »

That's my whole point...."search" is everything today (google and otherwise)- especially for us with large libraries - yet this field looks like a total afterthought - espeically when that middle panel - that I NEVER look at takes up 85% of the screen space...and then it autosizes itself to take even more when the app is maximized....

+1

Vincent Kars

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:44 pm »

I see a small search box upper right
I see a screen wide status bar at the bottom displaying numer of files and size only
What about a swap...
Pages: [1]   Go Up