INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Sum L & R to Center Channel Option  (Read 1183 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Sum L & R to Center Channel Option
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:14 am »

When doing critical 2 channel listening with our Klipschorns on the long wall there is a very narrow sweet spot. I have a 5.1 channel setup but for 2 channel sources it sounds much better not using JRSS, just using the sub option. Not sure why, but guess its all the DSP going on.

What many on the Klipsch Forum do is build a simple hardware summer box that combines L & R but decreases the amplitude. This is sent to the center channel. Even Paul Klipsch used this in his home. Since we watch a lot of movies and want 5.1 for them I can't use this summer box approach. So got to wondering if it wouldn't be too difficult for you to provide a simple summing feature with volume control for the center channel. I would only want this for Audio, not video.

I would think this might be helpful to many that have their mains far apart, not just us Khorn owners.

Thanks very much for considering it.

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: Sum L & R to Center Channel Option
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:43:14 pm »

You can adjust speaker levels in DSP Studio > Room Correction

We're pretty happy with JRSS 2.0 to 5.1 mixing, so I wouldn't expect major changes to be made.  It sounds like all you really want is no sides, which you could get by muting the sides with Room Correction.

If you want different settings for audio and video, you have to use different zones, each with their own settings.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:21:52 pm »

Matt - I "think" Rod was asking for a JRSS 2.0 --> 1.1 setting.

Rod, I find that most 2.0 --> 5.1 DSP setups (either JRSS or in the Reciver) will localise common L/F dialogue to the centre speaker quite nicely (eg for me 2.0 TV News broadcasts come out of the centre speaker as you want when using these DSP settings).

JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:18:51 am »

You can adjust speaker levels in DSP Studio > Room Correction

We're pretty happy with JRSS 2.0 to 5.1 mixing, so I wouldn't expect major changes to be made.  It sounds like all you really want is no sides, which you could get by muting the sides with Room Correction.

If you want different settings for audio and video, you have to use different zones, each with their own settings.

Matt - thanks for the response. I'm going to work with it some more using your suggestions of zones and lowering the center channel volume. Didn't know I could set things up to be different for audio and video.

I'll report back here after some time working with it.

Thanks,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:25:58 am »

Matt - I "think" Rod was asking for a JRSS 2.0 --> 1.1 setting.

Rod, I find that most 2.0 --> 5.1 DSP setups (either JRSS or in the Reciver) will localise common L/F dialogue to the centre speaker quite nicely (eg for me 2.0 TV News broadcasts come out of the centre speaker as you want when using these DSP settings).

jmone - thanks for posting on this. Matt did have it right though. I want something different with Audio (music listening) and Video. (Movies).

For audio I want the Right, Left , Center and Sub but with volume lower on the center. I want to hear mostly from the R & L with the Center just being a slight fill because of the wide separation between the L & R. The idea is to widen the 'sweet spot' at the listening position.

For movies everything is fine as is with 5.1. Most of the dialog comes from the center as it should.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up