INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to use tablet pc to controll multiple pcs with jrmc  (Read 6800 times)

paps

• Recent member
how to use tablet pc to controll multiple pcs with jrmc
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:57:16 am »

may be i have a little black out but pls tell me:

i want to control my media player-pcs with a tablet pc.

do i need to use windows remote management console to connect to each single pc
or can i do this with jrmc what i would prefer?

my environment:
Windows Home Server
3 macmini (win7), each has jrmc
archos 9 tablet (win7)

thx

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: how to use tablet pc to controll multiple pcs with MC
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:00:04 am »

Set up Library Server on the machine you want to control.  See the Wiki entry on "Servers".  Link above.

Then on the client, use File/Library/Search for Library Server.

Under Playing Now, you'll find a "There" entry.  That's your server.

Search for "Tremote" here to find a thread about this feature.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:12:58 am »

If you have the library server on multiple machines, is there a fast way to switch between them, or do you have to search for the correct server each time?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:14:13 am »

The Library Manager lets you set up specific locations for libraries.  It's then quicker than a search.

paps

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:52:05 pm »

i have found this in jrm wiki:
"Go to Player > Playback Options and select the zone you would like to play. "

isn't a zone exactly what i'm looking for?

so or so i can't find this menu.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:02:28 pm »

Start with Library Server.  Start with two machines.

paps

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:26:03 pm »

got it - it's perfect - thx!

until today i was a big fan and owner of SONOS systems.
but SONOS can not play/stream 24/192 flac files.

after some days of intensive research and a lot of try outs i found jrm14 the best solution for a high end multi room sound system.
the only thing missing is implementation of Napster.
may be you jrm guys can do this soon.

now i set up a cabled lab-net with 3 mac minis (win7), archos9 as controller and jrm.
tomorrow i will try to do it wireless.
24/192 files need 400KB/s to be streamed, a bit different from 15KB/s what 16/44.1 needs.

o happy day!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »

... the only thing missing is implementation of Napster.
The Performer Store in MC has a similar library.  It's the same library that powers the Zune store.

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:25:17 am »

Hi there,

Could you explain a bit more how you setup your multi-zone system with MC alone?
How do you send your music to the other rooms?  I guess you could dedicate a small notebook to the task and connect it to either standard PC speakers or to your amplifier, but then you'd need to start Windows each time on that notebook, which is a superb annoyance.

Wouldn't it be much better to have a device that's always on and connected to your speakers, ready to spurt sound at any time without having to reboot hardware AND an OS?

cheers
alain

got it - it's perfect - thx!

until today i was a big fan and owner of SONOS systems.
but SONOS can not play/stream 24/192 flac files.

after some days of intensive research and a lot of try outs i found jrm14 the best solution for a high end multi room sound system.
the only thing missing is implementation of Napster.

now i set up a cabled lab-net with 3 mac minis (win7), archos9 as controller and jrm.
tomorrow i will try to do it wireless.
24/192 files need 400KB/s to be streamed, a bit different from 15KB/s what 16/44.1 needs.

o happy day!

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:14:04 am »

Hi there,

Could you explain a bit more how you setup your multi-zone system with MC alone?
How do you send your music to the other rooms?  I guess you could dedicate a small notebook to the task and connect it to either standard PC speakers or to your amplifier, but then you'd need to start Windows each time on that notebook, which is a superb annoyance.

Wouldn't it be much better to have a device that's always on and connected to your speakers, ready to spurt sound at any time without having to reboot hardware AND an OS?

cheers
alain

Yes, it would probably be better. It all depends. I love to have full client functionality on my HTPC. Could not do with simply DLNA client. But again, that is my living room. It does not matter much if I have a quiet PC there. But you do have plenty of alternatives. One of them is Squeezbox as a DLNA device, fast boot and playback. Other alternative is to equip the server with several sound cards or Sound Blaster surround cards with multiple stereo channels, and pull the audio cables directly to some speakers at each room.
In the long run, I plan on using small PC's in the bathroom, kitchen and other bedrooms. As long as I can get small enough PC's with good enough GPU's to handle the Theater View though. If not, I think I would try Zones, soundcards on the server as well as some remote pads or phones. It's also dependent of how long I can place the cables for audio and video. The apartment I'm living in now is not suited for good cable management, so I think I have to figure out a way to have small PC's on most locations.

I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to multi zones though. Just barely tried it yet. I've not used the server functions much before. It all ended up less than ideal at every attempt. But J River have made some great changes to the server lately, so I can finally start realizing my big plans. So I hope I can test them out soon :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 07:25:29 am »

Move the control interface to Gizmo on an Android.

Then use DLNA devices for playback.  The JRiver ID would work.  So would an Xbox or PS3 or many  other DLNA Renderers.

I play music now with the TV off.  I just turn on the receiver and start playback from a Samsung Galaxy Tab.  I was using my Google Nexus One before that.   

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:55:29 am »

Melloware does a remote control app for the iPad/iPhone that is able to control MC.  It can play playlists directly.  If you set it to control each of your PC's you could have an easy multi room control, but I still think that it's way too geeky and that solutions like Cambridge Audio (which requires Ethernet wiring) or Sonos (which is wireless) are far more user-friendly.  Having PC's with power supplies (too much wiring) lying around the house makes no sense to me. Would you put a PC in your bathroom?  That's a big no-no!  As for the other poster who suggested a Galaxy tab, it's not an option for me to have a device of such value dedicated to one function like music.  What if you need it when music's playing?

Here's what I've done so far:

- wired 4 rooms in the house with Ethernet Cat. 5 cables
- in the computer room, I'm using Cambridge Audio's AH10 hub, connected to an ampli which is connected to my main PC
- the rooms that are not wired won't be, it's too late now.  For those rooms I could use a wi-fi PC linked to MC's library server or a Sonos without any PC.
- for the wired rooms I can use Cambridge's KP10 in-wall device that has a 15 w ampli you can connect to speakers or a bypass connection that you can connect to your ampli.  The KP10 allows you to switch between 6 different sources on the main hub.
- I can add more soundcards in the main PC if I want different music to play in each room.

All this is far more complicated than buying a Sonos system.  Too bad Sonos won't connect to MC's playlists (you would have to export each and every one of them I guess since it reads m3u playlists)...hell, it can connect to crappy software from the competition, what the heck is JRiver waiting for to push its product to them?

cheers
alain

Yes, it would probably be better. It all depends. I love to have full client functionality on my HTPC. Could not do with simply DLNA client. But again, that is my living room. It does not matter much if I have a quiet PC there. But you do have plenty of alternatives. One of them is Squeezbox as a DLNA device, fast boot and playback. Other alternative is to equip the server with several sound cards or Sound Blaster surround cards with multiple stereo channels, and pull the audio cables directly to some speakers at each room.
In the long run, I plan on using small PC's in the bathroom, kitchen and other bedrooms. As long as I can get small enough PC's with good enough GPU's to handle the Theater View though. If not, I think I would try Zones, soundcards on the server as well as some remote pads or phones. It's also dependent of how long I can place the cables for audio and video. The apartment I'm living in now is not suited for good cable management, so I think I have to figure out a way to have small PC's on most locations.

I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to multi zones though. Just barely tried it yet. I've not used the server functions much before. It all ended up less than ideal at every attempt. But J River have made some great changes to the server lately, so I can finally start realizing my big plans. So I hope I can test them out soon :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:35:29 am »

Did you tell Sonos what you want?

For rooms without Ethernet wiring, consider using powerline Ethernet.  Homeplug is the standard.  It works fine for me.  You just plug one adaptor into one power outlet and another into another outlet and usually you just have a network connection.

I just bought this Netgear Powerline AV+ pair but I've used others from Belkin and Linksys successfully.

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »

Hi Jim,

Yes, the powerline Ethernet is an excellent idea, we just installed it at one of our clients recently and it works very well.

As for Sonos, we could ask them to look into MC.  Maybe I should start a thread asking users here to pressure them.
I would think that it's J River's job to do so...

alain

Did you tell Sonos what you want?

For rooms without Ethernet wiring, consider using powerline Ethernet.  Homeplug is the standard.  It works fine for me.  You just plug one adaptor into one power outlet and another into another outlet and usually you just have a network connection.

I just bought this Netgear Powerline AV+ pair but I've used others from Belkin and Linksys successfully.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 12:23:15 pm »

As for Sonos, we could ask them to look into MC.  Maybe I should start a thread asking users here to pressure them.
I would think that it's J River's job to do so...
I think it's always more effective if their own customers are asking for a feature.

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 12:40:43 pm »

Yes, I agree.  Even more effective would be to play on both fronts :)

I think it's always more effective if their own customers are asking for a feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up