INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from iTunes to Media Player... But How?  (Read 3641 times)

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
Moving from iTunes to Media Player... But How?
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:19:20 pm »

Is there an article that explains how best to set up the following or could someone from the sales team please advise.

I now have 250GB of music files on my external HD structured: Artist > Album. Approx 150GB of this is linked to an iTunes playlist (XML & itl) files that are structured within the iTunes player: Genre > Artist > Album.

What is the best way to either utilise the existing iTunes playlist set up and transfer to MC and then add the remaining 100GB using the same playlist structure. Can MC auto create the full playlist again using Genre > Artist > Album or can it create the missing 100GB playlist?

I'm happy to leave the music on the HD as is: artist > album or match the playlist genre > artist > album, unless you recommend I mirror the music folders and the playlist?

Please make suggestions on the folder set up, playlists, structure, etc.

For an amateur moving from iTunes to MC this info is pretty complex to grasp but imperative to get it right first time. I know others will appreciate the response and Its true that thousands are looking to dump iTunes today - if only they knew how.

Thanks for any help
Ian

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving from iTunes to Media Player... But How?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

Welcome.  This might help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ITunes

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:49:01 am »

First of all, how are your music tagged? Are the Artist, Album AND genre fields populated for all of the tracks? If that is the case, I would simply start by importing all your music in MC15. The default view should be something like Genre, Artist and Album. If all this is present, why would you want to import your playlists? You don't need Genre playlists in MC. You can play by choosing the correct tags in the panes.
If the genre is not set in iTunes, I would start by selecting all tracks in each genre playlist and tagging the genre field so it's saved to the file. This will help during the import in MC15.

If you have to maintain the playlists you can probably import them all by Choosing "Import playlists" from the File menu. I think you can select multiple playlists, but unless you have them in one folder, it can take some time importing them all. A can not understand why you would have playlists for each genre, artist or albums though. Playlists and smartlists in MC can be MUCH more effective than that.

You can leave the folder structure exactly as it is. No point in sorting it more than Artist/Album in my opinion. MC probably does all the sorting you could ever want.

This was some very one sided suggestions, but unless you give some more details or explain better what you want to achieve, this might be the best answers you get :o
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JosePerez

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:20 am »

Got the much more similar problem. I wish to move from iTunes to MC 15. Have 18K AIFF tracks well structured in iTunes library. Simply run auto-import  and got 'em all in MC15. But... all the tracks have lost the Genre Tags and some have lost Date (Year) Tags and Artworks. Name, Artist, Album - all in place. Is there any possibility to fix this in non manual manner?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:33 am »

Try exporting a playlist of a single genre from iTunes and importing it into MC, then setting the genre.

JosePerez

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:30 am »

Try exporting a playlist of a single genre from iTunes and importing it into MC, then setting the genre.

Sorry, but I have no any playlists, just simple Artist->Album structure. All tracks got (visible in iTunes) tags: Title, Artist, Album, Genre, Year and all got Artworks. I'm not the expert in audiofile formats, but I think, that when MC reads tags it cannot find the "Genre" tag in the appropriate (from its point of view) place and simply indicate the only one - "Blues" for all 18000 tracks. IMHO the problem lays in tags format, or version mismatch. Am I wrong?

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:45:44 am »

MrHaugen, thanks for the detailed response...

My now 300gb (presently importing about 600 CD's) of music is in 1 main music folder on my ext HD and is like this in 1 main folder: Artist > Album and each file is tagged by Artist, Album Artist, Album name and some (approx 30% by Genre). Plus I have an iTunes playlist structured by Genre > Artist > Album, controlling about 200GB of this music. I've yet to add the remaining CD's I've imported as playlists.

My main aim is to: (Do this without risking my current music folder and as easily as possible I'm on limited time)

A) Establish if I need to structure my music folder first to mirror my desired playlist structure. Genre > Artist > Album. Is this important or shall i let MC playlist do all of the work?

B) Is it recommended I manually add all remaining (imported CD's) to iTunes first, tag all music in the music folder by 'genre' throughout and then import to MC?

C) Or can MC somehow automate the above once the main Music folder has all the CD's imported, and restructure the audio folders (if required) and create a playlist to match the music folder?

D) Do I need to do anything with my current iTunes playlist files or is this redundant now if i move to MC ASAP?

I'm so perplexed of what to do next to get it all in the right structure and how to create the playlists to mirror this structure. And I'm looking to do this without risking my current audio folder.

Please advise.

Thanks
Ian

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:46:45 pm »

I'm not shure how to tell you what to do.

But one important thing, you say you are afraid something goes wrong with your music-folder,
Then one very important thing wheter you are using itunes, mc, wmp, or anything else,
do yourself that farvour to make a back up. :)

Just mu thoughts

Thomas

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »

I'm so perplexed of what to do next to get it all in the right structure and how to create the playlists to mirror this structure. And I'm looking to do this without risking my current audio folder.

I'm reluctant to advise because I don't know much about iTunes. But maybe I can clarify a few things...

The first step in learning how MC works is to forget about how iTunes works. They're not at all the same. In particular, MC will manage playlists, but playlists will have nothing to do with how the database is organized and maintained. Any tracks imported to MC will be added to a database that we call a "library." Part of the import process will be to read the physical tags of the files and record whatever meta data it understands to the equivalent fields in the database. That should include Genre, Artist, Album, track number and name, etc. MC will then use that information to organize your files. It doesn't require any playlists or care about the folder structure of the file system.

I don't see any way your iTunes data would be directly affected by importing files into MC. If configured to do so, MC will write tag changes (i.e., changes you make to it's database) to the files. So iTunes will be affected if it re-reads those changed tags. MC can also change the path names of files, but that's not going to happen unless you very deliberately use the Rename, move and copy files tool (see Library Tools on the Tools menu or file context menu).

As we've already heard, the information in iTunes may not be fully recognized in MC—perhaps due to differences in tagging standards. Before attempting to import files, ensure iTunes is writing as much as possible to the file tags (I have no idea how much control over that is available in iTunes). If there are any fields that don't seem to have counterparts in MC, add them as custom fields—using exactly the same name as the tag created by iTunes. If the files have already been imported, the tags can be re-read using Update Library (from tags).

There are other tools available for adding data. I'm not sure how it works or if it works with iTune playlists, but importing a playlist to MC is a means for importing the meta data included in that list to the records of the corresponding files in MC. So that might be the first thing to try. You might be able to import any and all information in iTunes that can't be read from file tags simply by importing the iTunes playlist. You might need to add some custom fields to MC to match data elements in the playlist. And if importing a playlist doesn't work, you can at least extract data from the file path using the Fill properties from file name tool.

juice370

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 06:18:29 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys, really useful info. Appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up