INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asio Crash highbitrate files  (Read 3523 times)

yllmannen

• Recent member
Asio Crash highbitrate files
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:49:23 am »

Hi! First post and new user.

I have setup MC to use asio4all together with a USB dac (HRT Music streamer).
When i play "normal" audio (example uncompressed Flacs) all things go well but when I play some highres files MC crashes. I can use Foobar 2000 this way without any crashes or problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
MSI Media live -> MC -> All Flac and ALAC -> ASIO4ALL -> HRT Music Streamer -> Yamaha rx 592 rds

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Asio Crash highbitrate files
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:48:58 am »

In Playback options, try using the DSP Studio to set the output settings.

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:50:17 am »

Tried and change everything but it still crashes. Any special setting you had in mind?

MSI Media live -> MC -> All Flac and ALAC -> ASIO4ALL -> HRT Music Streamer -> Yamaha rx 592 rds

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:54 am »

Thanks for the link. But it relates only to wasapi settings and i use asio due to the fact im running Xp.
I cannot find anything on dsp "studio" only dsp and output format under options / audio.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »

Please try Kernel Streaming.

I don't believe there's any reason to use ASIO4All, since it's just a wrapper on Kernel Streaming:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

katywu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:39:26 pm »

I've had very similar experience with ASIO, see my previous post:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60682.0

Still not resolved, however, I have tried WASAPI on W7 and all worked correctly, so I'm wondering if it may be an ASIO related driver problem?

Cheers

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:19:56 pm »

@Matt - In kernel streaming i cant choose my Dac so that doesnt work either. Interestingly no matter what setting i set "Direct sound" / Asio / Kernel streaming, MC crashes when playing high res files.

@Katywu - sounds like exactly the same thing as me. (which is a bummer...)

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:42:16 am »

Interested - Has anyone been able to play high res files in MC on XP with ASIO?

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:13 am »

yllmannen,

I have never had any problems.  I would suspect your DAC is having some kind of buffering issue.  Is your DAC not ASIO compliant?  Could be an issue with ASIO4all.

I used to have issues with pops and clicks with my M-audio Transit and anything 24 bit.

Since I bought the Juli@ card, no problems whatsoever with FLACs up to 24/192.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »

@pcstockton - It work flawlessly with Foobar 2000 which is strange.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »

Did you try this setting (both ways)?

Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

... I have setup MC to use asio4all together with a USB dac (HRT Music streamer). When i play "normal" audio (example uncompressed Flacs) all things go well but when I play some highres files MC crashes. ...

What is the exact device model? I searched for "HRT Music Streamer" and it seems to support only up to 16-bit / 48 KHz (assuming the third party review sites provided correct information). It seems to be a discontinued model and the manufacturer's site does not provide any technical details or a downloadable manual. If you have some other model it may support higher sample rates and bit depths.

ASIO, Kernel Streaming (and WASAPI Exclusive on Vista and newer) are strict modes. The HW device driver must support the played format natively.

Interestingly no matter what setting i set "Direct sound" / Asio / Kernel streaming, MC crashes when playing high res files.

This is odd. Assuming you have a correctly working device driver installed, Direct Sound should work in any case because the Windows mixer on XP resamples and sets the output bit-depth automatically if needed.

Actually, what do you mean by "high res files"? Sample Rate, bit depth, number of channels, file and compression format, ...?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

Its the Music streamer 2 ( http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/products/ ) 96 k/s 24 bit files are what im trying to play and the Dac supports this.
When using Foobar the leds changes accordingly. Same when I use it on my Mac pro using Ayrewave.

pcstockton

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »

What is the Codec of the offending files?

Also, are you playing from "Memory Playback"?  If so, does changing this help?  If so, how much RAM do you have?

It seems bizarre that Direct Sound isn't working.

Are you using any DSPs?

Is there ANYTHING out of the ordinary you can think of that would lead to this non-common effect?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 01:26:51 am »

@Pcstockton - The files are Flacs that are converted to ALAC using MAX (http://sbooth.org/Max/)
Will try the memory playback change and see if there is any difference. The computer has 4 gb ram not mega but shouldnt be the issue.
I am not using any DSP.

I cant think of anything strange. Its a completely fresh install of Windows XP Pro with SP 3 with more or less nothing else installed than MC/  Foobar / Codec packs on it.

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 04:44:55 am »

@jimh - ill try that as well

HiFiTubes

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 08:11:50 am »

@jimh - ill try that as well

Are you playing files on local disk or via Library Server?

Have you toggled the "Use large hardware buffer" option in MC ASIO settings?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:47 am »

The files are Flacs that are converted to ALAC using MAX (http://sbooth.org/Max/)
I'm guessing that the problem is related to ALAC and that the files are somehow "special".  You might try ALAC from a different source (itunes?).

yllmannen

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 10:57:53 am »

Ok so it ONLY crashes with Hi res ALAC files. Normal alacs and hi res flacs doesnt crash it. Ill just convert the alacs to flac.

Now to the next issue. I hear this click click click what ever i play. Even mp3s. Any ideas ( should i open a new post maybe?)

Edit by JimH -- The "Use large hardware buffer" was the culprit in the clicking sound issue. Thanks alot for super support!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 11:01:07 am »

Yes, but take a look at the Weird Problems thread in my signature first.

Also try Direct Sound and Wave Out to see if it's there, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up