INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change default from folder.jpg to cover.jpg  (Read 11788 times)

737dudley

Change default from folder.jpg to cover.jpg
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »

Being new to JRiver I am trying to import my music library. All is good except for the fact that all of my cover art is within each album's folder as cover.jpg. Where can I change the default in JRiver so it will recognize my covers? I do not want to rename all of these files as they are used in other players as well. It may already be covered somewhere else but I can't figure out where.  Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Niacin

Re: Change default from folder.jpg to cover.jpg
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:09:23 am »

Look in Tools, Options, Auto Import Folders

Select the folder where your music and image is located, click it and select "Settings for this folder"
At the bottom is a field entitled "Ignore special files"
Try un-ticking this

I don't know if this will work, as I have never needed to use it, but it's worth a shot - unless someone else can answer this definitively

737dudley

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:30:47 am »

I have tried that but it doesn't solve the problem if there are other jpg files in the same folder (such as back insets or booklet pages). It seems to me it should be a simple preference to make JRiver use cover.jpg instead of folder.jpg.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:42:52 am »

Do you know what program uses cover.jpg?

Niacin

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:30:21 am »

If there is no easy answer, in other words a configurable option within the software here, I'd do the following.

I expect you have already thought of this but you could store all non cover-art images in a directory, other than that which is indexed in the JR options. Then only store the cover art in the audio directory and also rename the .jpg to fit in with the JR nomenclature. If it doesn't help retrospectively, it should sort it for future uploads.

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:52:06 am »

Do you know what program uses cover.jpg?

With Foobar I think you can set album art to be anything you want.  By default Foobar uses the following for album art:
front.jpg
cover.jpg
%filename%.jpg
%album%.jpg
folder.jpg

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

roopertd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »

I know you mentioned that you want to keep your cover.jpg, so this may not be the solution you are looking for. But...

I have never heard of, or used a program that used cover.jpg exclusively. In my experience, folder.jpg is standard.
It is even used by the windows for displaying the folder thumbnails. You can convert all of your cover art very easily.
1) do a windows search in your media folder for "cover".
2) select them all and drag into j rivers playing now. don't play them.
3) select them all(in playing now), right click, find and replace
    check filename (name) and replace cover with folder

always test on a few to begin with.

737dudley

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

As indicated above, Foobar gives you the option and so does Winamp. Folder.jpg and cover.jpg seem to be common choices for naming your cover art. I am trying to avoid the whole re-naming thing as I am using JRiver on a trial basis. Why this isn't a preference setting in JRiver escapes me.

BTW, so far JRiver has found about 60% of my album cover.jpg files and used them. For some reason it craps out on the rest. I can then force it to use them by right clicking on the blank album and selecting cover art and then choosing Quick Find in File/Cover Art Directory. It works but this gives me about 1,000 albums left to do. Not so much fun.

The sound quality of JRiver in my system may make this all worth while, but a simple workaround would be appreciated.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:41:12 am »

roopert
gave you a simple workaround

Here is another
  • go to Playlists-->Recently Imported select all right click "remove from list"
  • go to file-->Library-->Import a single folder-->next-->browse to media folder, uncheck everything but jpg
  • after import is complete you will automatically be taken to recently imported
  • select all right click-->Library Tools-->Rename, Move, & Copy Files
Setup the R, M, & C like below. You will need to substitute "D__Test_" with "*yourdrive*__*yourfolder*_"
This will put them in the naming format that MC uses and it should find them with no trouble assuming you have set
options-->file location-->cover art to "In the same folder as the file"
This also assumes you have your folder structure like this "drive:\mediafolder\artist\album\files"

Sean

737dudley

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:45:48 am »

After a little more time familiarizing myself with JRiver, I have determined that JRiver doesn't care what the name of the jpg file you are using for cover art is. As long as there is only 1 jpg file in the folder, JRiver will use it for cover art. This simplifies things greatly. The offending extra jpgs can be moved to an artwork folder within each album folder and all is good. This gives more flexibility, but your album folders must be properly organized.

Pages: [1]   Go Up