INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS3 or XBox for Digital Media Rendering?  (Read 2949 times)

fleetz

• Recent member
PS3 or XBox for Digital Media Rendering?
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »

This is the final evaluation point for my MC15.

I would like to find out from users of both PS3 and XBox how they perform using MC15?

MC15 having default DNLA settings for both indicate it is a simple matter connecting the device and selecting the DLNA preset in MC and away you go. I suspect there is more to this story hence asking folks with both to share their relevant experience.

What I would like to do is:

1. Use either as a Digital Media Renderer to accept music, video and photo content from my laptop running Windows 7 and MC15
2. Have my 1.5Tb media drive connected to the either PS3 or Xbox via USB and be able to do my media management on MC15
3. Ideally be able to have a default setup of either device that when it powers up and I start stream media from MC15 it will work without having to go in and configure either PS3 or Xbox. It will not be used for gaming just as a DMR, does either lend itself better for this application?

If you went PS3 is there a requirement to install PS3 Media Server? My understanding it is just software and is available free from Sony?

Anyway would love to hear from users of both how they found integrating and using them with MC15.

For me this is the missing link I need to resolve to make purchasing MC15 viable for my application. I am impressed with it's capablities and functionality. If I can understand the level of integration and how seamless either PS3 and Xbox are then I can make a call on MC15.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz 

fleetz

• Recent member
Re: PS3 or XBox for Digital Media Rendering?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:26:14 am »

Just bumping this one sorry ......hoping there are some PS3 or XBOX experienced folks out there.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

I would like to find out from users of both PS3 and XBox how they perform using MC15?

MC15 having default DNLA settings for both indicate it is a simple matter connecting the device and selecting the DLNA preset in MC and away you go. I suspect there is more to this story hence asking folks with both to share their relevant experience.

1. Use either as a Digital Media Renderer to accept music, video and photo content from my laptop running Windows 7 and MC15
2. Have my 1.5Tb media drive connected to the either PS3 or Xbox via USB and be able to do my media management on MC15
3. Ideally be able to have a default setup of either device that when it powers up and I start stream media from MC15 it will work without having to go in and configure either PS3 or Xbox. It will not be used for gaming just as a DMR, does either lend itself better for this application?

If you went PS3 is there a requirement to install PS3 Media Server? My understanding it is just software and is available free from Sony?

Anyway would love to hear from users of both how they found integrating and using them with MC15.

For me this is the missing link I need to resolve to make purchasing MC15 viable for my application. I am impressed with it's capablities and functionality. If I can understand the level of integration and how seamless either PS3 and Xbox are then I can make a call on MC15.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz 

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »

Either do a good job of basic rendering. It's when you get past the standard file types in Video that you may have different needs. For example, the PS/3 will play mpeg2 without conversion, the Xbox360 will not. The PS/3 doesn't handle mkv,.... etc... You can google supported video formats for each to see what they can do. There is a lot of fuzziness here in DLNA land because the required video formats that need to be supported to get DLNA certification is really limited. Most real world devices support lots more formats than the spec requires.
As far as I know, neither device can share external media (they don't act as a DLNA server).
You only need to configure MC once for the rendering device you choose, then MC shows up in the renderers menu system.
MC does the same job as the PS3 media server.
It's important to note that neither the PS/3 or the Xbox 360 are controllable renderers. This means that you play the media by pulling the content from the gaming system. You cannot PUSH content to them from MC.

fleetz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:19:39 am »

Thanks Bob for taking the time to clarifying my questions.

Regards,

Fleetz
Pages: [1]   Go Up