INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Radio Streams  (Read 12990 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
BBC Radio Streams
« on: February 05, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »

If you fancy the BBC streams in your MC library, download the attached zip file. Inside, there is a text file with nine BBC radio URLs and 'Cover Art' logos for each of those.

Copy the URL
In MC, use "File > Open URL" and paste in there.
Go to "Playing Now", right click the audio stream and choose "Import into Library"
Tag accordingly (think about management and organisation)
Direct MC to the appropriate art file

Enjoy.

I exclude these from the main audio branch of the tree, and set up a view that shows these and these only, under audio. Think about this as you probably wouldn't want these popping up in random play smartlists and the like. It is simplicity itself to set a tag that allows you to control when and where this are shown inside MC.

One of the beauties of these streams is that you can pause them, and MC time-shifts them, so when you resume playback, you don't miss anything. I don't think there's any other player out there that does that... Is there?

Have fun,
-marko

Edit: 11/02/2013
BBC 7 has been rebranded and has a new url. See this post further down for details plus logo.

Edit: 24/11/2019
Updated URLs for high quality HLS streams (might not be available outside UK?)

Edit: 27/12/2023
BBC moved the streams again.

Niacin

Re: BBC Radio Streams - 1 - 7 all working.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:05:45 am »

Lots of view but no replies - so I'll break the duck. Thanks for that - it works a treat.

It would have been nice to pick and choose - I'll never listen to Radio 1, for example. But you have to have all or none. (Yes, I'm being picky ;))

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:02 am »

Cheers Niacin. I tucked the post out of the way in here as the Beeb kind of frown upon this kind of direct linking to their streams, so don't make them easy to source.

Right with you re. Radio 1... maybe 25 years ago when I could rattle off the top 20 singles for that week in order, from memory, and only people in corduroy slacks and cardigans with little leather elbow patches listened to Radio 2...

I am now that Radio 2 listener (minus the fashion sense ;))... They play the odd Dylan track now and then you know... it's great when they do that!!

-marko

Niacin

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:21:20 am »

I am now that Radio 2 listener (minus the fashion sense ;))... They play the odd Dylan track now and then you know... it's great when they do that!!

-marko
When I was a teenager, Radio 2 was really farty and the domain of Perry Como, The Swingle Singers and Clive Dunn etc. Now you get Hendrix on there, so perhaps getting old isn't so bad :)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:49 am »

-marko

Radio 2 is good but they need to get rid of Jeremy Whine's show...

Niacin

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:22 am »

Is he a bit of a moaner then? He's good on Egg-heads.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:00:13 pm »

Hush now!  :P   That's the most entertaining show on Radio 2.  For music I prefer 6music.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:58:00 am »

I find Aneka Rice is pretty irritating on the way home in the morning...

jkp

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:55:11 am »

Thanks for this post, being trying for days to make BBC stations work well within MC18, which they do fine on the MC server.

Do you have any experience of using DLNA to play these stations to connected devices multi room  in zones, e.g. I have a Sony SA NS410 WiFi DLNA speaker that MC indicates is rejecting the stream?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »

I don't think you'll be able to use DLNA to play a stream from a web link.

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:49:10 pm »

Thanks Marko, that's a nice feature.

Unfortunately Radio 7 isn't working for me.

Z0001

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:37:44 am »

I have followed this and grabbed the web addresses from the bbc direct.

We find that playback drops out quite regularly with bbc and other web radio imported Ina similar way.

Does anyone else have similar issues. Radio through MC is otherwise fantastic.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:01 am »

Thanks Marko, that's a nice feature.

Unfortunately Radio 7 isn't working for me.
I have found the following on BBC Streams:
Update (5th April 2011): BBC Radio 7 has been rebranded to BBC Radio 4 Extra - as a result we have corrected the stream.
Radio 4 extra: mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4xtra_bb_live_ep1_sl0

Logo attached.

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 12:01:07 pm »

Sorted. Thank you.

jmm17

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 03:30:59 pm »

Thanks - this works perfectly. Really happy to get internet radio setup.

jkp

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 07:53:45 am »

Follow up to my previous post on streaming BBC web streams across DLNA.

I have been on the 'dark side' experimenting with a software from a company that derives its name from a fruit. It uses Airplay to distribute internet radio on a multi zone basis (and also coordinates the timing across the zones automatically). This is with the same WiFi speakers that I use for DLNA, i.e. Sony SA NS 410s.

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 04:02:17 pm »

Guys, any updates on the stations dropping out?

Also can this be done on JRiver 19?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: BBC Radio Streams
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 07:51:24 am »

Updated first post with working URLs.

-marko.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 01:45:06 am »

The BBC moved their streams again. Updated the attachment in the first post.

This github link gets updated pretty quickly when they do this... one for your bookmarks perhaps ;)
https://gist.github.com/bpsib/67089b959e4fa898af69fea59ad74bc3

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2023, 02:52:04 am »

Need some help/suggestions here please. I'm all out of ideas, and not super familiar with MC and playlist handling.

These new stream addresses are not good. The expired ones were great. Simply hit "Play", and they would do just that, all day long.

The new ones (there are two variants, one via akamaized and one via cloudfront) play between 10 and 40 minutes, and then just, stop. Very annoying.
http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_two/bbc_radio_two.isml/bbc_radio_two-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8

I don't know why this is, but assume it's jiggery pokery at the Beeb's end. The cloudfront links are a lot worse than the akamaized ones.

What does seem to work, is to send a whole list of the same stream address to Playing Now, so when one stops, the next kicks in pretty much seamlessly, and so on, and we have continuous play. Not ideal, but it does work atm.

As this works, I want a one click solution, in Theater View, so also needs artwork, to get 15 entries of the same stream into playing now.

I tried making my own m3u8 file and pointing the library entry at that. Didn't work.
I tried making my own PLS file and pointing the library entry at that. This didn't work right either.

I tried making MC playlists in an Online Radio playlist group, one for each station, each repeated 15 times in their respective lists. This has gotta work, right?
Wrong :( In Theater view, the playlists show up, each with their own artwork, and if you go inside you see the 15 identical entries. Go up to the roller and choose "Play All" and only one instance is added to Playing Now. Why is that? I specifically asked MC to send all 15 entries in the list to Playing Now.

Switching "Repeat" on is not an option as that would be a disaster everywhere else in theater view :)

Any suggestions as to how I achieve this, or, is there a setting I can mess with to keep the stream active?

-marko

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2023, 04:13:51 am »

given the contents of the m3u8, I guess it would require MC to understand it needs to keep reloading the same playlist forever (until you stop)

have you tried the lsntv streams listed in https://gist.github.com/bpsib/67089b959e4fa898af69fea59ad74bc3 ? do they also stop after a period?

I don't know why this is, but assume it's jiggery pokery at the Beeb's end. The cloudfront links are a lot worse than the akamaized ones.
I suppose it's to drive people into their apps so they can show subscriber counts as a way to argue against the  cuts in funding

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2023, 06:25:30 am »

Thanks for suggestions...
given the contents of the m3u8, I guess it would require MC to understand it needs to keep reloading the same playlist forever (until you stop)
Matt, Hendrik? m3u8 contents...
Code: [Select]
#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
## Created with Unified Streaming Platform(version=1.8.4)
#EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:266239609
#EXT-X-INDEPENDENT-SEGMENTS
#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:6
#USP-X-TIMESTAMP-MAP:MPEGTS=6502771616,LOCAL=2023-12-30T10:51:31.200000Z
#EXT-X-PROGRAM-DATE-TIME:2023-12-30T10:51:31.200000Z
#EXTINF:6.4, no desc
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239609.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239610.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239611.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239612.ts
bbc_radio_two-audio=96000-266239613.ts

have you tried the lsntv streams listed in https://gist.github.com/bpsib/67089b959e4fa898af69fea59ad74bc3 ? do they also stop after a period?
I had missed those. Trying now. We'll see, though, from inside that file, it has the same akamaized link that was giving me grief earlier....
Code: [Select]
#EXTM3U
#EXT-X-VERSION:3
#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:PROGRAM-ID=1,BANDWIDTH=101760,CODECS="mp4a.40.5"
http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_two/bbc_radio_two.isml/bbc_radio_two-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2023, 07:10:00 am »

Trying now. We'll see, though, from inside that file, it has the same akamaized link that was giving me grief earlier....
Same behaviour. Got 17 minutes from one entry.

If this is the way forward for them, there must be a way to get the stream into Theater View playing now multiple times, from theater view, via a single click, surely?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 08:30:49 am »

You should be able to just play the playlist and have it keep running forever. Clearly it works for a bit, since the playlist originally only includes a couple of seconds of content, but then after a while it breaks.

I'm looking at it to see what breaks.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 03:00:44 am »

This isn't improving. Sending the same stream link to Playing Now multiple times works OK-ish. There's a barely noticeable fade/overlap when one fails and the next begins. If this can't be dealt with by the the player, it brings me back to this...

I've created a playlist with the stream address listed 15 times. If I play that list from standard view, all 15 entries are sent to Playing Now. However, if I play that same list from Theater View, it strips out the duplicate entries, only adding one single instance to the queue. I cannot find any theater view setting that might affect this. Why is it doing this? How can override this behaviour?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2024, 05:38:03 am »

I'm looking into the issue with the stream dying, and it seems like there is some situations where the playlist doesn't update quite fast enough and the player thinking it ended, as no new content is appearing. Increasing the tolerance to that seems to help so far, going to let it run for a bit and see if it holds up for a few hours.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2024, 11:13:31 am »

Thanks Hendrik. Fingers crossed :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2024, 06:28:38 am »

It seems like its working well, it does however require an update to LAV Filters, and there is another thing I want to get in there, so it might be another week or so until it shows up.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2024, 12:13:03 pm »

Yes Hendrik. Thanks for the attention and the updates.  8)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2024, 04:37:35 am »

Morning Hendrik, did the fix for this go in on the quiet? I couldn't see anything relating to it in the notes. This morning, I added the stream to playing now the usual fifteen or so times, and currently, 2½ hours in, it's still on the first entry... no fail as yet...

UPDATE:- It's going off now, but that's 3½ ish, and still on 1st entry.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2024, 05:34:32 am »

I'm finalizing the update now, hopefully this week. External library upgrades depend on a lot of things, so its not quite that straight forward.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2024, 05:10:00 am »

Thanks again Hendrik. It was back to it's usual behaviour today, failing after twenty minutes or so.

Also, I figured out why it played for 3½ without a hitch last week...

One of the things I've always enjoyed with MC's handling of these streams is that you can pause them. I've no idea how it does it, but it's great. With around ten/fifteen minutes of 'pause', the stream doesn't break. You're always that bit behind, but it doesn't break. Still no good for my wife though, who just wants to press play and get on with her day with the radio on :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2024, 06:43:29 am »

This should come in 32.0.30, when that becomes available soon.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2024, 02:25:13 pm »

Hendrik, brilliant. Just, brilliant. When your 'go-to' things break, it induces a certain kind of stress. Feckin' computers ;)

Over an hour in on Radio 2 tonight without a hitch and still going. Thank you for your time on this. Very much appreciated.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up