INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerline Networks - any good?  (Read 1207 times)

Mr James Dunn

• Recent member
Powerline Networks - any good?
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:01:53 pm »

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a networked media player for the lounge, that will stream form my PC / NASA drive that is upstairs. Whilst I'll probably get a wireless one i was also thinking of getting a powerline to use to ensure connection speed.

Does any one use a powerline, and are they worth the money? whilst I'm not expecting the same speed as wired it would be usefull to know roughly what speed i can expect.

Thnx

J

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Powerline Networks - any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »

Powerline networking works very well.  I've used several generations. 

Mr James Dunn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:31:35 pm »

Thanks Jim,

I seemed to get that impression from reading some numerous reviews, but there always seems to be a couple of negative opinions that seem to stick out more than all the positive ones. I'm looking at getting a 200mbps set, do you reckon this will be sufficient for sd video streaming (mkv)?

Ta

J

p.s. thanks for all the work on MC, been using it for a couple of years now and can't believe the rate of improvement.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:18:14 pm »

I've also used server type.  At their very best they are sort of liked Wireless that never drops out and you will get up to 50mbps real life throughput, more than enough for SD.  At their very worst they just don't work (eg they must be on the same physical circuit etc etc).  Buy a pair from somewhere that will let you return them if they don't work and you have nothing to lose.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up