INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samplerates and Output - WavPack not fully compatible?  (Read 2227 times)

Marlene

• Recent member
Samplerates and Output - WavPack not fully compatible?
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:09 pm »

Hello!

This is my first post in this forum so forgive me if Iīm doing it wrong. Iīve already searched the forum and subforums for an answer but sadly I couldnīt find one. Here it is: Iīm trying to play 24/192 files, encoded with WavPack in lossless or hybrid mode. In both cases Iīll get a horribly distorted output. I specifically configured the input option to use the "input-engine" exclusively for WavPack. Should I use the DirectShow filter instead? Will it hurt the sound since Iīm using WASAPI... A lot of questions, I know.

Furthermore, sometimes Iīm using AAC-files. When I swith from music encoded with WavPack to music encoded with AAC there is frightingly loud "pop", sometimes even the same distorted noise pattern I described above. Is this due to the changing renderer (from "input" to "direct show" or vice versa)?

P.S.: I really love JRiver Media Center. The minute I listened to it for the first time barely a week ago I instantly decided to purchase it - it just sounds so much better than foobar2000 (which I used before). Well done, guys.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Samplerates and Output - WavPack not fully compatible?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:41:27 am »

Welcome to Interact and thanks for the kind words.

We'll see if we can reproduce the problem.  Another similar problem related to switching between M4A and MP3 was found and fixed, but it isn't public yet.  Your guess about switching playback method is probably good.  You might see if the problem goes away if you play only one or the other filetype.  You could easily do this by searching for a filetype in the upper right corner.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:20:13 am »

Hello!

This is my first post in this forum so forgive me if Iīm doing it wrong. Iīve already searched the forum and subforums for an answer but sadly I couldnīt find one. Here it is: Iīm trying to play 24/192 files, encoded with WavPack in lossless or hybrid mode. In both cases Iīll get a horribly distorted output. I specifically configured the input option to use the "input-engine" exclusively for WavPack. Should I use the DirectShow filter instead? Will it hurt the sound since Iīm using WASAPI... A lot of questions, I know.

Furthermore, sometimes Iīm using AAC-files. When I swith from music encoded with WavPack to music encoded with AAC there is frightingly loud "pop", sometimes even the same distorted noise pattern I described above. Is this due to the changing renderer (from "input" to "direct show" or vice versa)?

P.S.: I really love JRiver Media Center. The minute I listened to it for the first time barely a week ago I instantly decided to purchase it - it just sounds so much better than foobar2000 (which I used before). Well done, guys.

You should use "automatic" which will select the "jriver audio engine" using the "input plug-in".

I checked the wavepack test suite and everything played fine for me except the 32 bit samples which wanted dsp conversion.

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »

Welcome to Interact and thanks for the kind words.

We'll see if we can reproduce the problem.  Another similar problem related to switching between M4A and MP3 was found and fixed, but it isn't public yet.  Your guess about switching playback method is probably good.  You might see if the problem goes away if you play only one or the other filetype.  You could easily do this by searching for a filetype in the upper right corner.

The problem seemed to get a bit better when I switched the the input engine from "Automatic" to something I myself configured. But it still exists. Iīll try and write about the things I experience in detail but before Iīll give my configuration:

Playback Options:
WASAPI - Event Style
Open device for exclusive access
Hardware Buffer: 250ms

DSP Studio:
Output Format 24 Bit activated (the card ASUS Xonar Essense ST wants it that way)

... and here goes the description:

WavPack 32 Bit floating point / 96 kHz: no problem
WavPack 32 Bit floating point / 192 kHz: distorted (I recorded the distortion with WaveLab and only one phase of a channel was used up to 0 dBfs)

AAC 32 Bit floating point / 96 kHz: no problem in general, only when I switch from Wave, WavPack or WMA to AAC Iīll have the same distortion I described above with WavPack. The samplerate doesnīt matter, the bitdepth neither. The distortion is there for one second after I switched the tracks, then disappears and the tracks plays normal. Oh, just while Iīm at it: it would be really nice if you could add a function for AAC to use 32 Bit floating point decoding (since AAC only works that way and because I created those AAC files from 32 bit floating point wavīs).

This "1-second-noise" doesnīt occur when I switch from AAC to WavPack (or WMA, Wave), only the other way round. And itīs really loud! I listen mostly with headphones and everytime I switch and hear it my heart stops beating for two seconds  :D

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:07:55 pm »

I think I found the reason for the distortion during WavPack playback: it seems that JRiver canīt handle 32 Bit Integer.

I saved some of my recordings in 32 Bit integer - mostly the ones with 192.000 kHz - thatīs why I figured that the samplerate was responsible. But actually it appears to be bitdepth. I stumbled upon one recording where I encoded a 32 bit integer wavefile - there was the distortion again although the samplerate was only 96 kHz. Upon figuring that out I tried different output formats within DSP Studio - no change. I also changed the output to ASIO, DirectSound etc. - still no change. So it seems to be the decoder itself inside the input engine. 32 Bit floating point and 24 Bit integer are working. 16 Bit of course too.

I guess, thatīs it. If you would be so kind to correct this...  8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:53:00 pm »

I think I found the reason for the distortion during WavPack playback: it seems that JRiver canīt handle 32 Bit Integer.

I saved some of my recordings in 32 Bit integer - mostly the ones with 192.000 kHz - thatīs why I figured that the samplerate was responsible. But actually it appears to be bitdepth. I stumbled upon one recording where I encoded a 32 bit integer wavefile - there was the distortion again although the samplerate was only 96 kHz. Upon figuring that out I tried different output formats within DSP Studio - no change. I also changed the output to ASIO, DirectSound etc. - still no change. So it seems to be the decoder itself inside the input engine. 32 Bit floating point and 24 Bit integer are working. 16 Bit of course too.
We also found the same yesterday, so expect a fix in the next week or two.  Thanks for reporting the problem.

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:18:56 pm »

We also found the same yesterday, so expect a fix in the next week or two.  Thanks for reporting the problem.
You are very welcome! Itīs nice that you people readily react to a minor problem as this one. Itīs not like on hydrogenaudio where the developer of foobar is such an arrogant twit: heīd react very different. This is such a relief...
Pages: [1]   Go Up