INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Audio Decoder: LAV Audio (Direct Show Filter)  (Read 5284 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
New Audio Decoder: LAV Audio (Direct Show Filter)
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:36:14 pm »

I'm also pretty impressed with the LAV Audio Filter.  It is nice and simple, but supports decoding most formats to LPCM (especially when used with the co packaged LAV Splitter) and hence works well with the J River Audio Renderer / DSP (not for you bitstreamers!).  About the only limitation (like all other open source filters at this stage) is that it will only decode the core of DTS-MA streams (more here if you want to know how to decode these http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55171.msg408875#msg408875  )  

More info and download here for those that like to try new stuff http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191 As with the LAV Splitter, nevcairiel (the dev) is pretty active in supporting and updating this filter.

What will LAV Audio Filter Decode?
If used with LAV Splitter, basically all audio formats ffmpeg supports (thats alot).
With any other splitter, it supports all the common formats, DTS, (E)AC3, AAC, MP1/2/3, TrueHD*, QT PCM types, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis (not 100% compatible with all splitters yet), LPCM

*TrueHD is not supported when used with the MPC-HC MPEG Splitter, because it doesn't properly identify TrueHD as such, and trys to send it as AC-3.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Audio Decoder: LAV Audio (Direct Show Filter)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »

Thanks, Nathan. This is another reason why MC needs to have filter selection based on codec. I could use Lav Splitter and decoder for TrueHD decoding to LPCM, and MPC-HC's Matroska splitter for bitstreaming DTS-MA HD if that were possible, i.e. best decoders for the job rather than a blanket set based on the file format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up