INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database locked in read Only Mode  (Read 3370 times)

Facel

• World Citizen
Database locked in read Only Mode
« on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:33 am »

I have JRiver Library on a Nas, an all the audio file on the same Nas but in a different forlder.

When I connect the dabase on the NAS I am in a red only mode, despite the fact that I only have 1 pc running.

What should I do to desable this read only mode ?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Database locked in read Only Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:00:46 pm »

Close all instances of MC on the network, then browse to your library folder using a file explorer where you should see a zero byte file called "Lock.jmd". Delete that file, then start MC and you should find everything is good again.

When you close MC, part of it's clean up routine is to delete that lock file, have you any idea what might have caused it to be left behind?

-marko

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »

I can not delete this file, despite having killed the processe related to JRMedia Center
I have a windows message telling me that this file is still used by an other application.

How can I kill all processes related to this file ?

The only things I imagine regarding this problem are :
  - Maybe I have closed media Center 15 while it was updating some tags (with cover arts, or rename action)  ?
     (Sometimes it take quite a long time to do that, and I can read some music while it still finishing)

- Maybe I have 2 instances of Media Center runing (1 in read only mode) and I quit one of them to suddenly ?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:28:50 am »

It's a little difficult to offer advice because of the network involvement...

How many different instances of MC are accessing the library, and are you certain that they have all been closed?

Have you tried restarting the NAS and then trying to manually delete the lock file again?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:35 am »

Close Media Server, too.  Right click on the icon in the lower right corner of Windows.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:53:52 am »

If you still can't delete the file shutdown all computers on the network.
Start 1 of them and hold down the f8 key before the windows start screen
appears, you will be taken to the advanced startup screen, choose
"safe mode with networking" and manually delete the file.
Sean

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:52:25 am »

The "safe mode with networking" Windows boot mode might not help if the server operating system on the NAS is locking the file. On a regular Windows OS I would recommend trying the free Unlocker tool, but you cannot run it on the NAS OS. I have never owned a NAS device, but I wonder if they provide any kind of shell access to the file system.

If rebooting all PCs and the NAS really does not help, as a workaround, you can create a new folder and move everything except the lock.jmd file there. You can point a new library in MC to this new location and thus preserve all library data.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:53:46 am »

I wasn't thinking of NAS OS causing the problem, I have never had a file be locked by a NAS before and was just thinking with Safe mode it would take out any program on the main computer that may be causing the lock. I guess if it didn't work they would know that it was the NAS OS that was locking the file.
Sean

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »

As a said, I have no experience of NAS devices. I don't know if the NAS OS can continuously lock a file because of some kind of earlier "error state". Unlocker should be able to help if Windows is causing the problem.

Another possible workaround would be to restore the last good library backup file to a newly created library and simply abandon the "bad" library (perhaps delete the files that you can).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »

I didn't suggest an unlocker tool because the library resides on the NAS drive. I figured that if the NAS system itself was locking the file, power cycling the NAS box would rectify that.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:53:24 am »

Effectivly , It was a NAS Problem (Well though Alex !).

I have been able to delete the file simply by using the File manager software implemented on my Nas (Synology)

many thanks to all of you for your help
Pages: [1]   Go Up