INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Case sensitive search within a playlist  (Read 3074 times)

Niacin

Case sensitive search within a playlist
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:07 pm »

Is there any way to have a playlist which picks out case-sensitive words?

I want to construct a playlist which highlights particular words in the "Name" field. For example, I want to look for all instances of the word The as opposed to the word the, where neither begin the "name" (as the leading article). It is purely from an anally-retentive desire to standardise. I wish to do something similar for a / A.

I did try looking in the Wiki as well as within the forum but came up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Case sensitive search within a playlist
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:49:40 pm »

The search ([=IsEqual([Name], / The , 7)]=1 or [=IsEqual([Name], / A , 7)]=1) will isolate such names. But if you want proper "title case," just use Library Tools>Clean file properties.

Niacin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »

The search ([=IsEqual([Name], / The , 7)]=1 or [=IsEqual([Name], / A , 7)]=1) will isolate such names. But if you want proper "title case," just use Library Tools>Clean file properties.
Thanks for that.

Regarding the latter, under the "Fix Capitalization" filed, what exactly does the "title case" option give you? None of the other case values are appropriate. I am using the Rate Your Music standard for capitalization - for example "Bursting at the Seams".

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:57:56 pm »

"title case" capitalizes all essential words and leaves words such as; the, a, an, and, etc lower case unless they start the title.
Sean

Niacin

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »

That sounds like what I'm after. Can you apply it to a small selection, so I can see the results, or does it do the entire library as default?

Niacin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:54 pm »

OK sussed - you can do it on a track basis. Thanks chaps

(I just thought - "Chaps" is a UK term - it's not referring to leather trousers, such as might be worn by the Village People :-[)

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:24 pm »

OK sussed - you can do it on a track basis. Thanks chaps

To be precise, it applies to whatever files are selected. And you can Undo the result, if you have to—regardless of what you're wearing. ;)

Niacin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:01 pm »

And you can Undo the result, if you have to—regardless of what you're wearing. ;)
Now that's just cheeky

Niacin

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:49 am »

Is there any way to edit the rules that "Title Case" uses? I ask because it changes BBC (as in the British Broadcasting Corporation) to Bbc, which looks daft.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 04:43:38 am »

No. Just use Find and Replace to change it back.

Niacin

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58:42 am »

No. Just use Find and Replace to change it back.
That would simply revert every time I did a global "Title Case" clean-up, which I'll probably do every so often. I have circumvented it by adding in periods (full stops) after each letter.

Thanks

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 02:56:27 pm »

I have circumvented it by adding in periods (full stops) after each letter.

Eww! After using it globally once, why would you not then restrict it to incoming files? Okay, if you're truly anal, you'll still want to apply it "every so often"—just to be sure you didn't miss anything. But there's a better (i.e., more anal) way to do that. Maintain a "Title Case Boo-boos" smartlist. Every time you come across something like "Bbc," add it to the smartlist. When this list gets unbearably long—say, 3 files—fix them. 8)

Niacin

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »

Eww! After using it globally once, why would you not then restrict it to incoming files? Okay, if you're truly anal, you'll still want to apply it "every so often"—just to be sure you didn't miss anything. But there's a better (i.e., more anal) way to do that. Maintain a "Title Case Boo-boos" smartlist. Every time you come across something like "Bbc," add it to the smartlist. When this list gets unbearably long—say, 3 files—fix them. 8)
Well let's face it - the only "words" that I have come across where this applies are BBC and USA and they are not that common. I have something like 8250 files (tracks) and USA appeared 3 times and BBC around 10. It's easy enough to edit at rip point so they won't be changed back by a global edit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up