INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: missing tags after moving location of files  (Read 1493 times)

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member
missing tags after moving location of files
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:16 am »

i have 350gb of music, which media center has been happily sorting and playing. i recently upgraded from jukebox to media center 15, but it found everything, and put it all in the right place without any issue. i have just installed an additional hard drive and moved my 'music' folder to the new location instead. i told media center the new location and left it to update itself while i went to work. i've just got home to found some very odd things. most items have just moved across without any issues, however, some are duplicated, appearing in both the new location and the old one (even though those files aren't there any more) and (most annoyingly) thousands of tracks appear to have lost their tags and are all grouped together under 'unassigned'. some are whole albums, but others are just random tracks. most of the album is tagged and in the right place, but then some are missing and are in 'unassigned'. why would it do that!? media center wrote the tags in the first place, so why can't it read them now, just because the location has changed!? are those tags lost forever? am i really going to have to go through the whole list and manually type then all back in again?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: missing tags after moving location of files
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:02 am »

Media Center can only read metadata that is contained in file tags.  Its best to use file formats that support tagging.  If you're a WAV user, enable WAV tagging.

To fix your current issue, you could restore a library backup that contains the information, then use Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files > Find & Replace to connect with the files at their new location.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: missing tags after moving location of files
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:17:59 am »

i have just installed an additional hard drive and moved my 'music' folder to the new location instead.

In the future, use MC to make this move instead of Windows Explorer, and this won't happen regardless of the "taggable" status of the file types you happen to have on disk.  The problem is that as far as MC was concerned, you deleted those files (they were no longer where they were supposed to be) and re-imported brand new files in a totally new location.  If the files don't have the tags embedded, then MC "loses" the data because they are "brand new".

So instead... You want to MOVE them within MC so it knows which files they are and where they're going.  There are a number of ways to accomplish this task, but the easiest is via the Rename, Move, and Copy tool in MC (under Library Tools in the right-click menu).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up