INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YOUTUBE trailers in theaterview?  (Read 2775 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
YOUTUBE trailers in theaterview?
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:35:52 pm »

i've made a category for all my films for there trailers from youtube. in theaterview.

The trailer link shows up but it's not clickable. is there anyway for us to be able to click our utube trailer links and have the trailer play in theaterview?

Thanks

rick.ca

Re: YOUTUBE trailers in theaterview?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:36:17 pm »

Even if links did work in Theatre View, Youtube links would open in a browser, not Theatre View—probably not what you're looking for. Most good sources of trailers tie them fairly tightly to their website, so even importing URL's doesn't seem to be a good solution. I gave up and now just download trailers. They're added to my PVD database and automatically imported to MC. It seems a bit impractical (I don't really need a trailer for every movie in my collection), but it works. And they start instantly, don't have streaming problems, etc.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:41 pm »

ohhh, i thought it was possible, been grabbing them with autometa.
i guess i assumed being jriver has youtube built into it in theaterview it would work

JRiver do you see this being a feature you will ad? or should we stop adding trailer links to our tags?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »

ok since no one knows if that will be implemented...

is there a easy way for us to at least use the sidecars to automatically grab the youtube trailers we've found? and put them into the correct folders through out or movie drives?

Thanks

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:39 pm »

I don't think so. Downloading them manually isn't even particularly "easy." I use the DownloadHelper plugin for Firefox for that.

BTW, if you want HD trailers for recent movies, you'll do much better with HD-Trailers.net. Ignore the links to Apple trailers—you won't be able to download those. But they also have links to Yahoo! and moviefone. Those can be downloaded directly using the link. Use this search link...

Code: [Select]
<Link version="1.2">
<Item Name="Name">HD-Trailers</Item>
<Item Name="Filter">[Media Type]=[Video]</Item>
<Item Name="Action">1</Item>
<Item Name="Base URL">http://www.google.com</Item>
<Item Name="Search URL">http:////www.google.com//cse?cx=partner-pub-0559071095567784%3A6080719125&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;sa=Search&amp;siteurl=www.hd-trailers.net&amp;q=Hexify([Name])</Item>
</Link>

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:34 pm »

Amazing all the xtra work we always have to and yet we never get a reply if something like this will be implemented or not in the future. lol

I'm talking with a code buddy of mine, he's thinking up away to use my internet download manager (similiar to your download plugin) and scripting to be able to read all HDD's look for xml's in each individual folder, then scan them for www.youtube then use idm, to grab that link that is already there and auto rename them then save trailer back to same folder on same drive with (Ex. Goatheads First City Adventure-Trailer.avi)

Not sure if this will work.
But before I work out a barter with him and give him the go
  Once completed.. then will jriver play them in theaterview if someone clicks on trailer under that movie?
Thanks Rick.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:29:39 pm »

Once completed.. then will jriver play them in theaterview if someone clicks on trailer under that movie?

No, links are not going to work in Theatre View, even if they've been changed to point to media files on your HDD. You would have to import the trailers, and handle them like any other file. That may be a problem for you unless AutoMeta will tag the trailer files as well. This works nicely using PVD—by simply associating both the movie and it's trailer with the same record. Then both are updated with the same meta data in MC. I have separate views for trailers in Theatre View that include all the same information as their corresponding movie files.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »

Wow, LOL

A media player with out the ability to view trailers.... interesting.

Thanks Rick for the heads up and your time.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »

hey rick question for ya in pm

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 03:48:33 pm »

Sorry, but I think you are beating a dead horse. That's not because there aren't some nice features in XBMC or your imagination. It's that suggestion MC be like XBMC or your ultimate vision are far to vague to be of any possible use. When you (or anyone else) makes such suggestions, I can readily conclude MC is already much closer to my ultimate media manager than XBMC is or will likely ever be. I'm left wondering why you don't just use XBMC if you like it so much.

I've discussed some technical issues around the use of links to trailers—because I assumed that's what you were interested in. But it seems you're not interested in details. As a result, I've probably left the wrong impression. MC can actually handle trailer links very well. The Connected Media feature allows you to browse to any media site (like YouTube or HD-Trailers) and play, add the URL to the library or download any media. While I don't know how to find the correct form of URL for some of these sites, the developers obviously do. The issue I was trying to help you with is that you already have URL's, and you (nor I) know how to get them into the library so they can be played in Theatre View. That's not quite the same thing as "MC is unable to play trailers."

I think a more practical feature request would be a mechanism for handling and playing web links in Theatre View. I have no idea what is feasible, but it might make sense for the developers to consider this as they implement Chromium. We already have Links in Standard View, and they work fine for many different things—including links to trailers. It would be wonderful if we could, in Theatre View, browse to any web page associated with our media and, where applicable, play a web media resource—like a trailer.

Even if MC could handle your trailer links, it's not clear to me that would provide you with what you're expecting—the ability to play a high quality trailer for any movie on demand. Taking just a quick look, I can see TMDb is making a valiant effort to collect reliable links to the best available trailers. But that is still user-supplied data for something that tends to change—so they often don't work. There's often several links—sometimes to different sources, sometimes for different resolutions, occasionally both. If AutoMeta is getting all the links and MC were able to handle multiple links (i.e., try the "best" one first, the next if that fails), that would help, but this seems unlikely. So this might only provide the frustrating experience of often waiting for a minute for a two minute trailer to appear, only to see the request fail. Relying on a links implies there would be no opportunity to select an alternate trailer for the same movie.

Maybe I'm missing something, or the XBMC community has already dealt with all such issues and trailers work perfectly there. What I find very peculiar is for this sort of issue we never hear anything like, "I use XBMC, and it handles trailers flawlessly. Here's a link that explains how that's done." Either it doesn't, or no one here can be bothered to investigate fully and tell us about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up