INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JR MC 15 as a server?  (Read 2326 times)

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
JR MC 15 as a server?
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:40:03 pm »

I am flipping out!

I have a XP Pro desktop and a Vista Laptop. Both have MC latest ver loaded onto them, as do all my pcs. I also use a NAS drive where ALL the files are located!

I've been doing the Windows Remote Desktop to control the Desktop unit iwth but it is really clunky and visually off a tad.

I tried yesterday to use the MC 15 app itself to run the XP unit from the Vista machine... and got some results but not full functionality. Only played those files I grabbed and pasted into MC 15... no playlists, no searching... nada.

Is there some step by step info that can show me how best to setup the two machines?

I'd really apprciate any help here!!! Thanks.
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Re: JR MC 15 as a server?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

Best flexibility if you have your library at the nas as well, but performance suffers a bit from it. Especially if you are doing some heavy updating.

If you have a computer online 24/7 you could run it as a library server. But I think there is some client sync limitations that I do not know very well yet.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:12:58 pm »

I found the current specs for Library Sync on the wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

Take note of the last section; what is not synced
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »

I am flipping out!

I have a XP Pro desktop and a Vista Laptop. Both have MC latest ver loaded onto them, as do all my pcs. I also use a NAS drive where ALL the files are located!

I've been doing the Windows Remote Desktop to control the Desktop unit iwth but it is really clunky and visually off a tad.

I tried yesterday to use the MC 15 app itself to run the XP unit from the Vista machine... and got some results but not full functionality. Only played those files I grabbed and pasted into MC 15... no playlists, no searching... nada.

Is there some step by step info that can show me how best to setup the two machines?

First, I'd like to be sure that I understand what you want to do and what you have done so far.

You want to play music through MC 15 on the win XP computer right?
You want to  control what's played from MC 15 on the Vista PC, right?

----
Assuming That I understand, here are some instructions:

On the Win XP PC in MC 15 (the server end):

S1. On the left side of the MC 15 window, look below "Audio" just past "Drives & Devices" you should see "Services & Plugins".  You may see a list with "Media Network" in the list.  If there is no list below "Services & Plugins", click on the right arrow head to the right of ""Services & Plugins".  Now click on "Media network".  The center and right portion of the screen will change to show network related information.  Near the top of this area, click on the button labeled "Options...".  A dialog window will appear.  In that window, look for the words "Library Server" near the top of this window to the left of center.   Just below "Library Server", you will see a checkbox labeled "Share your library, playlist and views."  Check this checkbox.

S2. Below the checkbox, there is a list of settings.  Scroll down in this list until you see Advanced Server Settings".  If there isn't a list under this heading, click on the right arrow head to the right of "Advanced Server Settings".  Make sure that the checkbox labeled "respond to Auto-detect requests" is checked.  Make sure that the checkbox labeled "Enable Authentication" is unchecked.

S3.Click the button labeled "OK" at the bottom of the dialog window to save your changes and exit.

S4. Make sure that MC 15 on the Win XP computer is using the library you want to use to play music.    If MC 15 is already using the library you want, you can skip the rest of this step.  Click on "File" in the menu at the top of the MC 15 window and then "Library"  Choose "Load Library" and in the sub menu that appears next, choose the library you want.

On the Win Vista PC in MC 15 (the client end):

C1. Click on the "Media Network" as you did in step S1.  The click on the Options button as you did in step S1.  Look for the words "Library Server Client" about halfway down the dialog window.  In the list of settings below those words, make sure that the checkbox labeled "Show Playback zones from the server..." is checked.  Someone else mentioned Syncing changes with the server.  If you want to check the checkbox labeled "Automatically sync changes made on the client...", you can change library fields (tags) on the client PC and have thos echanges updated on the server PC.  I do not use this setting so I can't provide more detail on when changes are sent to the server PC.

C2. Click on the "OK" button to save your changes and exit.

These steps prepare server and client to work together. They are done once.  Now I'll list steps you do on the client PC (Vista PC) whenever you start MC.

1. Tell MC 15 on the Vista PC to connect to MC 15 on the Win XP PC.  From the File menu, select "Library" and then "Connect to Library".  A dialog window will appear.  Click on the button labeled "Search".  MC 15 should show a progress dialog with text like "Searching..." and when it finds the MC 15 on the Win XP PC, the dialog will disappear and you will be connected.

2. Select where you want to play your music.  Look below "Audio" for the words "Playing Now" . There may be a list of playback zones.  If there is no list, click on the right arrow head to the right of "Playing Now".  There should be one or more lines labeled "There"..." These correspond to zones you have defined on the Win XP PC.  Click on the line corresponding to the zone you want to play music.

3. You should see the library views and playlists from MC 15 on the Win XP PC on your Vista PC.  Select what you want to play and select play.  You should hear it being played through the zone you selected.

The process will be simpler in MC 16 which has just appeared as a sneak peek beta version.

Bill

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 04:26:08 am »

Gee.... Bill... thanks.

Yes you are indeed exactly correct as to what I want to do. I have two desktops  in fact, I’d wish to accomplish this situation… using them as the music players and the lapper as the remote control. One for the main system, the second for an alternative system in my Bed room.

None of my machines, or the NAS, REMAIN ENERGIZED AROUND THE CLOCK.
Will there be anything further or repetitive following any machines or the NAS, being shut down OR MUST I FOLLOW THESE STEPS EACH AND EVERYTIME I WISH TO ACCOMPLISH THIS SETUP??

I'll  make all those moves you listed asap. … AND REPORT MY CONDITION.
It's not what you don't know that can hurt you, it's what you know that just ain't so that does the most damage, most of the time!

blindjim

• Recent member
  • Keep looking up.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »

Thank you Bill...

OK! That works!

Don't know yet if I'll have to do those steps each time I wish to use such a configuration, but that step by step for this dummy was most welcome. Severe Thanks, Bill.

I've some issues on DVD and video file playback, and libraries... but the DVD can wait...

How does one go about re-locating a library, and keeping it up to date with several personal confusers in the mix?

Why, and when would anyone wish to place their library on a NAS, instead of keeping it on the individual machines?

Super gratitude ...

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »

Don't know yet if I'll have to do those steps each time I wish to use such a configuration, but that step by step for this dummy was most welcome.

In my earlier post I told you that the S1...S4 steps and the C1...C2 steps only needed to be done once.  I said

"These steps prepare server and client to work together. They are done once.  Now I'll list steps you do on the client PC (Vista PC) whenever you start MC."

I also said that MC 16 would make the process simpler.  MC 16 as a client can go and connect to the server MC 16 automatically when you start up.  MC 16 is not ready for general use yet so be patient.

> I've some issues on DVD and video file playback, and libraries... but the DVD can wait...

I can't help you with those issues.

> How does one go about re-locating a library, and keeping it up to date with several personal confusers in the mix?

Those are two separate problems.  Moving music files and keeping the links to them intact has been discussed many times on this forum.  the Wiki probably has some information.

I back up the music files and MC library files on my dedicated MusicPC to an external USB drive regularly.  Since not much changes between backups, the incremental backup finishes quickly. I use that backup to restore music files to my personal PC where I keep a duplicate copy of my music files.  The incremental restore operation finishes quickly.  Then I use the import (folder) command to force MC to recognize new files.  It works for my purposes.  Your needs might be different so you might choose a different method.

You are using the Tremote functionality in MC 15 which builds on the Library Server functionality that has been in MC for several years.  Between the two capabilities in MC 15, you may not need to have your music files on every PC you own.

In one room, I use a laptop to control playback from my dedicated MusicPC.  My music files are not on the laptop nor is there an MC library.  The only MC library resident on that laptop contains only a few test files.

> Why, and when would anyone wish to place their library on a NAS, instead of keeping it on the individual machines?

I don't use a NAS. Some people want to keep files that will be used from several PCs on a NAS.

I am having a severe bout of tendinitis so I've done all the typing I can.

Bill

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »

Why, and when would anyone wish to place their library on a NAS, instead of keeping it on the individual machines?

Well, I have my NAS for three main purposes:
1) Making my shared files available to all my home computers independently of which computer is online
2) Having a easy and stable enough backup of my files by running raid mirroring
3) Act as a print server (less important...)

So, my NAS is online 24/7, to provide me this. It seems to me that you might just have a usb-drive, not a NAS solution, am I right? Why would you buy a NAS if you do not see a point in using it as a library? A usb-drive is also faster to work with it in what seems like your scenario :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up