INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing Duplicates  (Read 3238 times)

fleetz

• Recent member
Removing Duplicates
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:06:08 am »

I have trolled through here and looked at setting up a smartlist to remove thousands of duplicates which happen when I stupidly selected "Import to Library" on a folder that was already in the library. I had copied some music folders into the folder and I thought MC16 would be smart enough to filter out any duplicates.

I have tried to make sense of using the smartlist feature but the info to me is too ambigous. Is there someone that can help me through this? I have seen a number of others that have struggled with this and many requests have finished up as a single post thread.

Is there a template with an explaination on how to set up a smartlist and how this is applied to weed out duplicates.

I am sure there are many like me.

Regards,

Fleetz 

Niacin

Re: Removing Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:01 am »

I have set up a Smartlist to do just this. You can configure one to remove all duplicates from a given field value but I prefer doing it from another perspective. I have a Smartlist set up just to show me duplicates. I can then select the items that show up in this list for deletion,

I use...
Media Type is "Audio"
Modify results - Only duplicates of is "Name".

This ensures that duplicates of track name are not deleted where the Artist differs or where you have both live and studio versions.

The following might be of use, post import

After I had imported all my previous ripped/downloaded music into J River I also set up the following Smartlists for future imports
1. Check for field "Album Artist" - should be either the same as Artist or else it will be Various Artists - I often forget this field when ripping
2. Missing cover art
3. Missing GENRE field

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:21:07 am »

I have trolled through here and looked at setting up a smartlist to remove thousands of duplicates which happen when I stupidly selected "Import to Library" on a folder that was already in the library. I had copied some music folders into the folder and I thought MC16 would be smart enough to filter out any duplicates...

MC does not import files that have been previously imported (and thus create exact duplicates).

Please compare the "Filename" field values and find out the difference between the older and newer "duplicate" files. Report what you find before taking further actions.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fleetz

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. You are on the money, the duplicate files are from two seperate folders. I copied the music I had on my laptop onto a large HDD. It is reading the two locations hence the duplicated files.

What I can not seem to find is a way of deselecting the folder on my laptop? I suspect that once I can tell MC16 not to look there and refresh the library they will disappear. Can you point me in the right direction here?

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

dasfoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:32:04 pm »

This is actually pretty easy. Just add the File Path to your library view, and then click to sort your files by this column. Or, you could even enter the file path in the search field. This way you can easily bulk-select all the files stored on the drive you accidentally imported and then delete them from your library -- just make sure in the delete dialog you select to ONLY delete them from your library and not to delete the actual files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up