INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Views for Movies, Series and Music Videos  (Read 1631 times)

tdipower

• Recent member
Views for Movies, Series and Music Videos
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »

Allready bought the J River 16! :D

But what I'm still missing for makeing the software totale is sorting of videofiles.
On Audio I have Music and Podcast.
On Video I have Video...

Is it possible to make a Movies, Series and Music Videos insted of the Video menu, or i addition...
And then make it so they don't mix in the same three.
Music Videos would also benefit from a library like the music.

Is this a way to go?

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »

Allready bought the J River 16! :D

But what I'm still missing for makeing the software totale is sorting of videofiles.
On Audio I have Music and Podcast.
On Video I have Video...

Is it possible to make a Movies, Series and Music Videos insted of the Video menu, or i addition...
And then make it so they don't mix in the same three.
Music Videos would also benefit from a library like the music.

Is this a way to go?

tdipower, if you use the Custom view - Set Rules for Display+(or) add view, you can display every file, your way
MT5FR

tdipower

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »

tdipower, if you use the Custom view - Set Rules for Display+(or) add view, you can display every file, your way

Hi.

Yes I have tweeked a bit with this settings. But I feel that it's still lacking something.
I use boxee box at my TV set and it's perfect for movies and series because of the sorting and the cover library, but it is totaly lacking sorting on music. I feel J River is in the other end. It is superb on music and good on pictures, but the videopart is lacking. If this videopart would be a bit better I would relace my boxee with a small PC. Now I still need both.

To describe what I feel lack is that the video menu today is good for a collection of movies and you could sort it how you like in custom views, but I feel that is like setting yellow stickers with name and description on my dvd movies, cd's and concert movies and throwing them on the floor in a big pile.

If I had a selection in the menu on the left side saying musicvideos, and there I would find all my 1000 music videos and just that. Also adding this videos that is in a folder on my computer in a own view would make it easyer to sort right in the program the first time.

I guess this could some way be fixed in a 1000 ways as the program is today, but it's not intuitive to me and the mainstream user won't do this and will look to other products. I would LOVE to see J River be the number 1 media center. Today it is the number 1 music player.

Hope this makes sense. And if this is done today in an easy way.. please enlighten me. 

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:33:07 pm »

If I had a selection in the menu on the left side saying musicvideos, and there I would find all my 1000 music videos and just that.

everything is about administration and tagging, there are no workarounds, but this case is easy, add a custom view in the ROOT name it musicvideos, tag the files with "music video" in default field "media sub type" (or create a custom one). and set the filter in the view.

you can also use [Filename (path)]="videosomething" or use filename (name) field..

you have to learn JRiver Media Center, and it takes time... :)
MT5FR

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »

And if this is done today in an easy way.. please enlighten me.

Do you mean like this...? ;)

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »

tdipower, have a look @ darichmans screenshots..maybe they can give you some ideas/inspiration

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/7E547B99-5004-478D-A4AC-37AD672F51A4/MC14_Screens/thumbnails.html
MT5FR

tdipower

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:33:20 am »

Do you mean like this...? ;)

Just like that. :-)

you have to learn JRiver Media Center, and it takes time... :)

Well... that's the thing... It should not take time to "learn". And if it is this easy, why not make it a default? I guess most of the people using this program also have music videos.  ;)

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »

Well... that's the thing... It should not take time to "learn". And if it is this easy, why not make it a default? I guess most of the people using this program also have music videos.

Look at it this way...It's so unbelievable, it takes some time to understand MC can handle just about any media in a multitude of different ways. It takes more time to learn the techniques for doing so. But then everything is quick and easy. The most difficult part is choosing the best way to do it out of many possibilities. Providing default views for anything for the most obvious situations is not practical. Even including a bunch of sample view templates isn't very helpful. Those, combined with the default views, seem to convince most new users all they can do is pick one. It then takes them a long time to learn it's much easier to simply configure exactly what they want from scratch.

A case in point...Not all users have music videos. I have none. As you can see from my screen shot, I only have a handful of concert videos. Those don't warrant a separate view (certainly not a root view), and are just a category in my main video view. But it took me only a minute or so to create the view from scratch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up