INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fill properties from filename  (Read 2428 times)

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member
fill properties from filename
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:24:43 am »

hi

windows went tits up so i had to do a fresh install. all my files are on a separate hard drive so no problem there. after reinstalling media center lots of tags are now missing. my audio files are in folders as such:

artist/album/files (mostly named as "track number - track name")

been playing around with the "fill properties from filename" to replace the missing tags, but can't quite get it right. have got it filling in the artist and album fields (and the track name field is already there) but can't get it to do the track number. can anyone suggest the correct setting?

cheers

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: fill properties from filename
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:31:58 am »

Do you have Filename as:

[Track #] - [Name]

Otherwise, show what you have.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:45:13 am »

hi

windows went tits up so i had to do a fresh install. all my files are on a separate hard drive so no problem there. after reinstalling media center lots of tags are now missing.

This would make me think those tags, now missing, were saved in the library and not in the individual files.

Have you tried restoring the library from a backup? This would restore those tags as part of the library.

If you do not have a backup to restore from, then use Fill Properties from Filename:

Directories: [artist]/[album]
Filename: [Track #] - [Name]

Based upon how you described your file names and folder structure in the above post this should do the trick.
. . . the game is rigged

darkhyphenvoid

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »

i do have the backups saved and have tried restoring, which does indeed restore all the missing tags, however, i cannot get it to link to the new location of the files (the drives were all renumbered when i reinstalled windows). i tried using the rename, move & copy files option to update the database to point to new location of files, but it didn't work (it was showing the correct file path, but claimed the files weren't there when i tried to play) plus all the artwork was missing after restoring. so i put it back to how it was. it's quite weird as most albums have the first 2 or 3 tracks fully tagged, with the rest only having the track name filled in. it's fairly easy to sort, i just have to view by file location, which puts everything in the right order, then it's just a case of filling in the gaps. it just quite time consuming is all!

thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up