INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parametric EQ feature request  (Read 3802 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Parametric EQ feature request
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:52 pm »

Just purchased my MC16 license... Looking really good so far.

Love the parametric eq. I was just wondering if it would be possible to display a freq curve that would give a visual representation on the changes made by the eq.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Parametric EQ feature request
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »

Just purchased my MC16 license... Looking really good so far.

Love the parametric eq. I was just wondering if it would be possible to display a freq curve that would give a visual representation on the changes made by the eq.

Thanks for the purchase.

It might be nice to make the Parametric EQ more graphical.

For now, you can tell Room Correction to output a test tone (or play a sample pink noise file if you have one) and then watch changes in the new Analyzer DSP.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »

Parametric EQ without graphical representation is really unintuitive to use. I was pretty excited about getting one in MC16 until I saw that it's number inputs only. The spectrum analyzer is also very basic and has no features. I guess for most people they'll be fine with it, but for those who are looking for something for polishes/advanced, I highly suggest these two excellent free pro audio VST plugins that I've been using for years (and are still being updated by the developers):

EasyQ, from www.re-met.com

SPAN, from Voxengo

And while you're at it, if you want more than a simple crossfeed and want to turn your headphones into monitor speakers in an acoustically ideal room, Isone Pro from Jeroen Breebaart (now rebranded to Tonebooster) is the best out there, and very reasonably priced. It sounds very realistic and once you try it, you'd never want to be without it again.

JTB3

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:09:28 pm »

I'd also REALLY like to see a nice "Graphical" parametric EQ!  I'm grateful for the new functionality - But it sure is difficult to use!  There are so many decent VST/DX plugin examples out there to gain inspiration from...

gtener

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:29:01 am »

At risk of sounding like a couple idiot, does anyone have some links to websites that can explain to me how to set up a parametric equalizer, how to do room correction and how to use the analyzer in MC16 to properly set up my system in the room I have?
It's music to my ears.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:46:50 am »

At risk of sounding like a couple idiot, does anyone have some links to websites that can explain to me how to set up a parametric equalizer, how to do room correction and how to use the analyzer in MC16 to properly set up my system in the room I have?
Here is a guide called Why Do We Need Equalization and Room Correction.

To use a Parametric EQ you need to measure your room response. This requires a microphone and software. You can purchase the Dayton OmniMic which will do both. Alternatively, you can buy a calibrated microphone from a place like Cross Spectrum Labs and use it with a preamp and Room Equalization Wizard (REW) Software. This is what I do for measurements. REW gives me the numbers to use in the parametric EQ and shows how it will correct your frequency response. You can read more at REW at HomeTheaterShack.com.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:32 am »

If you want to do rough and ready paraEQ you can use iPhone RTA apps.  I tested the Studio Six one against my reference software (TrueRTA) and Mic (Earthworks M30BX) and it was close enough to do some decent work.  And a lot cheaper!

shoshaw

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:42 am »

While we are takling about features, it would be awesome if a pre-EQ gain control could be added.  The "clip protect" setting has a tendancy to compress the output in cases where gain is added in the EQ.  Thanks!

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:14:10 am »

+1 Shoshaw, a pre-EQ gain would be a really nice feature.

I have also noticed "clip protect" compression, esp. when you raise the bass frequencies through the EQ. Over cheap earbuds that kind of compression helps punch frequency extremes out, aka "loudness" on 80s stereos. But it doesn't sound as good to me over a nice sound system or headphones, I notice a compression of dynamic range.

Could the 64-bit internal volume control could be integrated into new parametric EQ as a gain control?

I'm guessing gain control happens on-the-fly already, but with so many tracks mixed "hot" at 95-100 percent gain, a pre-EQ volume could potentially avoid using clip protection altogether.

(Of course, these type of "hot" tracks often have the bejeezus compressed out of them during audio mastering, but that's a whole other topic.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up